New Heuristic by Doch: Pity.....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
fern

New Heuristic by Doch: Pity.....

Post by fern » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I got a draw, yesterday, with Doch playing at my usual favorite rythm, 40 in 60. As Ansari pointed and I agree, position is Ok still for me, but full of dangers.
So then it seems like Doch -Don D- invented a new heuristic: pity.
I do not know how it could be coded, but the idea is: if the human side played decently well and he still have a susteinable position after move 30 or so, then offer the poor bastard a deserved draw before his house fall in ruins.
Isn't that amiability?

Dan, you are a genius... :-)

fern

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: New Heuristic by Doch: Pity.....

Post by Guenther » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

fern wrote:I got a draw, yesterday, with Doch playing at my usual favorite rythm, 40 in 60. As Ansari pointed and I agree, position is Ok still for me, but full of dangers.
I do not know how it could be coded, but the idea is: if the human side played decently well and he still have a susteinable position after move 30 or so, then offer the poor bastard a deserved draw before his house fall in ruins.
Isn't that amiability?

fern
Your draw had nothing to do with Doch itself but with your setting used in the GUI.
Obviously you used an early draw option in the used GUI, of course this makes no sense
in a Human vs. Engine game except you want to look much better than you are ;-)
(I wonder why no one yet told you this in the other thread? Doch showed
4 times around 0 eval which triggered the draw offer from the GUI, but
the game just had started)

Guenther

fern

Post by fern » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 pm

I did not USE anything, I mean, I did not tamper with the gui to get easy draws. I am not that silly. Surely is like you say and I will look for that and change it.

My best
Fern

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

fern wrote:I did not USE anything, I mean, I did not tamper with the gui to get easy draws. I am not that silly. Surely is like you say and I will look for that and change it.

My best
Fern
Yes so please good friend
remove the early draw option and then continue the game from move 23 where you left off
please post full PGN ASAP

of course i am no one to make demands of this kind
the longest i ever lasted against a PC engine was move 22
and that engine was ..

Battle Chess Regards
Steve

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Guenther wrote:
fern wrote:I got a draw, yesterday, with Doch playing at my usual favorite rythm, 40 in 60. As Ansari pointed and I agree, position is Ok still for me, but full of dangers.
Isn't that amiability?

fern
Your draw had nothing to do with Doch itself but with your setting used in the GUI.
Obviously you used an early draw option in the used GUI, of course this makes no sense
in a Human vs. Engine game except you want to look much better than you are ;-)
(I wonder why no one yet told you this in the other thread? Doch showed
4 times around 0 eval which triggered the draw offer from the GUI, but
the game just had started)

Guenther
I am sure Fernando didn't do it on purpose....he wasn't aware of this early draw option being activated....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

fern

Post by fern » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 pm

In fact there is not such function in Sh 12, "early draw" and I play with the engine at maximun strenght.
I am prepared to accept the idea that Doch, for some reaso,n offered me too generousloy a draw, but I have not tampered in any way to get points. I cannot care les about that. I am not the one publishing my "victories" here.

Fern

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm

fern wrote:In fact there is not such function in Sh 12, "early draw"
It's called "etiquette" in the Shredder GUI and is usually on by default I think.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Actually a human would still be in trouble even if the position gives more than +2.00 in evaluation ... especially in dynamic positions ... a human can really really screw everything up. I know that from countless tries to win a position that I put where in GM play one side resigned. It is actually quite astounding how a human can screw up a beautiful won position with one silly inaccuracy.

yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:21 pm

i've just started testing doch and i believe it is in the ~3000 elo range (computer-wise anyway). so any human surely deserves a fair amount of pity from it.

fern

Post by fern » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Yes, I saw it, but no data about when or how he offer a draw. I have no sign indicating that it will offer such a thing almost after 4 moves.

Fern