STS - List the Order of Importance

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: STS - List the Order of Importance

Post by swami »

mcostalba wrote:
swami wrote:
noctiferus wrote:I might do it. I would like to try, also, some other less classical methodologies, on these data.
It's my academic area.
However the basic problem, as I said, is to have data about enough engines, in order to have a good predictive model .
Hi Enrico,

That sounds great! I'd like to know the what the total number of engines is that you need their data for? Does 100 sound good? I'd be willing to test 150 or more if that satisfies the necessary requirement to process the set of datas.
I would like to suggest engines for which does exsist a reliable ELO estimation by CCRL and CEGT, otherwise are useless.
Oh, yes I did consider about that factor. I thought there exists enough number of engines in both the lists. I checked it and there were only about 158 engines in CCRL 40/4 and 131 in CEGT 40/4

So, I guess I could only provide datas of about 60 to 70 _single_ Cpu Engines. I'd think that would be enough.
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

<Swami>
Until you have 8 testsets, I think that 30-35 should be enough (I'd like to do some out-of-sample control).
Let see what happens. We are always in time to add more engines.
Of course, we'll need it when you will increase the number of testsuits.

<Marco>
Yes, of course.
(It's a pity I haven't PLS in my home software)

PS.- just an idea, to be verified: if I could find a student interested in the matter (with the help of an IM that is a colleague and a friend), I think it would be interesting an undergraduate thesis on relations among testsuites(general) and ELO. Don't take it as a promise, however... :)
swami

Post by swami »

noctiferus wrote:<Swami>
Until you have 8 testsets, I think that 30-35 should be enough (I'd like to do some out-of-sample control).
Let see what happens. We are always in time to add more engines.
Of course, we'll need it when you will increase the number of testsuits.

<Marco>
Yes, of course.
(It's a pity I haven't PLS in my home software)

PS.- just an idea, to be verified: if I could find a student interested in the matter (with the help of an IM that is a colleague and a friend), I think it would be interesting an undergraduate thesis on relations among testsuites(general) and ELO. Don't take it as a promise, however... :)
Sure, I will make the datas available by tomorrow, or day after. I believe I've tested atleast 30 chess engines that are listed in either CCRL or CEGT.

I have few testing to do, I had tested Division 2 and Division 3 for STS 1 to 6. I have to test those engines in STS 7-8.

Best Regards,
Swami
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

ok, perfect.
Howard E

Post by Howard E »

I hope this suggestion will happen. Looks like a team effort will prevail in creating this. One thought is to leave the "elo" tag out of the title as to avoid confusion with the actual ELO listings. These STS suites are much appreciated.
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

Don't swear on it: depends on the availabilty and interest of the students.

For what concerns data coming from different divisions, could be even better, provided that the dependency model is (almost) the same.
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

<Swami>:
Even if you have a limited results table, and it isn't a trouble for you, could you send me it, in order to prepare some templates for the true analyses?
Thanks. Enrico

If it's too much of a trouble for you, forget this mail :)
swami

Post by swami »

noctiferus wrote:<Swami>:
Even if you have a limited results table, and it isn't a trouble for you, could you send me it, in order to prepare some templates for the true analyses?
Thanks. Enrico

If it's too much of a trouble for you, forget this mail :)
Hi Enrico,

It's almost finished! Will send it to you through mail in few hours. Maybe I can post it here as well. Just send me the pm to let me know of the email address.

I have included WBEC, CCRL and CEGT ratings alongside the STS 1, STS 2.... STS 8 results for about 45 Engines in an Excel File.
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

You should have received my private email address 10 min ago.
advise me here if you didn't receive iet..
swami

Post by swami »

noctiferus wrote:You should have received my private email address 10 min ago.
advise me here if you didn't receive iet..
Yes I did receive it, Thanks!

The testing is finished. Right now, Entering datas into excel file and putting it in website.