tablebases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

maxchgr

tablebases

Post by maxchgr »

This may be a novice question.. I understand that Nalimov tablebases are tough on disk space, but I read that shredderbases are not. My eye caught 'scorpio bases' somewhere as well. I'd like to know if it's possible to have one of these shredderbases or scorpio bases or the like to be used with any chess engine I have running? In chessbase, it asks for the directory of tablebases... is that for nalimov tablebases only?

Thank you
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: tablebases

Post by Sylwy »

maxchgr wrote:This may be a novice question.. I understand that Nalimov tablebases are tough on disk space, but I read that shredderbases are not. My eye caught 'scorpio bases' somewhere as well. I'd like to know if it's possible to have one of these shredderbases or scorpio bases or the like to be used with any chess engine I have running? In chessbase, it asks for the directory of tablebases... is that for nalimov tablebases only?

Thank you
Hi Maksim !

1.Shredderbases,Fritzbases & RobboTripleBase ( :lol: ) are compressed EGBBs loaded into memory at every start of the engine. They are used in search. Show only the evaluation if a position is won/draw.
2.Nalimov EGTBs can be used ( consulted )-from HDD- by both engine & GUI and show us the exactly path to victory/draw.
3.Scorpio EGBBs ( used by Scorpio , Toga and other chess engines ) are only normal EGBBs - they aren't load into memory.Only consulted.And show -like all BBs - if a position is won/draw.
4.All modern ChessBase GUIs used only Nalimov EGTBs .
5.Some modern chess engines can use both compressed BBs loaded into PC memory and Nalimov TBs ( or similar ) - Shredder, Fritz, IvanHoe ( :lol: ).

Regards,
Silvian
maxchgr

Post by maxchgr »

interesting. So there's no quick solution if i want to implement egbb for my engine matches? which should I download?
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

maxchgr wrote:interesting. So there's no quick solution if i want to implement egbb for my engine matches? which should I download?
Which engines, which GUI ?
Nalimov EGTBs , Scorpio EGBBs,compressed EGBBs (Shredderbases,RobboTripleBase,Fritzbases )-all need space on HDD.

Silvian ,
(Just being on the top of a high building ! What to do ? :lol: )
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

There's another set of endgame databases that can be both probed in RAM for distance-to-win as well as read off of the disk.

I bet you never considered these :

http://www.gothicchess.com/javascript_endings.html
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Sylwy wrote:
maxchgr wrote:This may be a novice question.. I understand that Nalimov tablebases are tough on disk space, but I read that shredderbases are not. My eye caught 'scorpio bases' somewhere as well. I'd like to know if it's possible to have one of these shredderbases or scorpio bases or the like to be used with any chess engine I have running? In chessbase, it asks for the directory of tablebases... is that for nalimov tablebases only?

Thank you
Hi Maksim !

1.Shredderbases,Fritzbases & RobboTripleBase ( :lol: ) are compressed EGBBs loaded into memory at every start of the engine. They are used in search. Show only the evaluation if a position is won/draw.
2.Nalimov EGTBs can be used ( consulted )-from HDD- by both engine & GUI and show us the exactly path to victory/draw.
3.Scorpio EGBBs ( used by Scorpio , Toga and other chess engines ) are only normal EGBBs - they aren't load into memory.Only consulted.And show -like all BBs - if a position is won/draw.
5.Some modern chess engines can use both compressed BBs loaded into PC memory and Nalimov TBs ( or similar ) - Shredder, Fritz, IvanHoe ( :lol: ).
Are you sure IvanHoe can use Nalimov? I doubt it.

Miguel
Regards,
Silvian
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

And now there is Gaviota tablebases ! :D
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32527
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

michiguel wrote:
Sylwy wrote:

Thank you
Hi Maksim !

Miguel
Regards,
Silvian
Am not sure but I think Ruxy meant through the GUI. Ivanhoe does not support Nalimov, but once it gets to 3-4-5-6* men, the GUI takes over. If I have the time, I may implement support for your (Gaviota) TableBases on a private version...not sure yet though.
Last edited by kingliveson on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

kingliveson wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Sylwy wrote:

Thank you
Hi Maksim !

Miguel
Regards,
Silvian
Am not sure but I think Ruxy meant through the GUI. Ivanhoe does not support Nalimov, but once it gets to 3-4-5-6* men, the GUI takes over. If I have the time, I may implement your TableBases on a private version...not sure yet though.
Ok, that makes sense.

Miguel
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

LiquidNitrogenOverclocker wrote:There's another set of endgame databases that can be both probed in RAM for distance-to-win as well as read off of the disk.

I bet you never considered these :

http://www.gothicchess.com/javascript_endings.html

Hi !

Was only a summarizing discussion. They were a lot of endgame bases in history. Ken Thompson bases for example (LChess/Lokasoft, ChessGenius series... ) and many more.
Also about storage.You can use internal/external HDDs, flash memories....
Also about the path to won/draw ......

Regards,
Silvian