Gambit engines?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Gambit engines?

Post by Albert Silver »

David Dahlem wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:Thank you Martin. I'll check it out.
Cool!

PS: It has 2 more personalities built-in, called Gambit Agressive and Gambit Suicidal. Sounds like a LOT of fun. :D

Best Regards,
Martin
Yes, does sound like fun. I have it now. :lol:

I notice there is a "Anti-Human option". Know anything about this?
It was an idea by Ed Schroeder, implemented in Rebel, to maximize complications and tactics. Theron and Ed were programming partners for a while and they swapped ideas.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Hello David , There is also a CB native engine version called Gambit Tiger 2.0, It is a beast. There is also a very specialized opening book called ph-gambitbook by Robert Kraft that vastly improves Gambitfruit's play. It has to be renamed performance.bin and put in the same folder as Gambitfruit. Respectfully, Karger
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Rybka is the only engine that understands gambits. You will need long time control for gambits. All engines butcher gambits at high speed blitz (unless they have very long book lines that cover them thoroughly).

Rybka gets the right moves in the Evans Gambit. No other engine I have tried is able to do that.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

karger wrote:Hello David , There is also a CB native engine version called Gambit Tiger 2.0, It is a beast. There is also a very specialized opening book called ph-gambitbook by Robert Kraft that vastly improves Gambitfruit's play. It has to be renamed performance.bin and put in the same folder as Gambitfruit. Respectfully, Karger
Thanks for the info John. Since i'm using Arena, Gambit Tiger 2.0 is not an option. I plan to use selected opening lines for the pgn book option in Arena, so none of the engines will use it's own book. I think that is more fair to all engines. :D

I have Junior 2010 now, so it will be included, for sure.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Albert Silver wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:Thank you Martin. I'll check it out.
Cool!

PS: It has 2 more personalities built-in, called Gambit Agressive and Gambit Suicidal. Sounds like a LOT of fun. :D

Best Regards,
Martin
Yes, does sound like fun. I have it now. :lol:

I notice there is a "Anti-Human option". Know anything about this?
It was an idea by Ed Schroeder, implemented in Rebel, to maximize complications and tactics. Theron and Ed were programming partners for a while and they swapped ideas.
Thanks Albert. What do you think would be the effect of using the "Anti-Human" option with the 'Normal' option vs the 'Gambit' option?
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Hi David , Please post your results, I love gambit play. There is also one highly unique engine Called " Brause" By Steffen Jakob , The author of the engine "Hossa". Brause only plays the Halloween gambit, and does it very effectively. As far as I know it has never been made public. Just thought you might find the info interesting. Thanks, Karger
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

karger wrote:Hi David , Please post your results, I love gambit play. There is also one highly unique engine Called " Brause" By Steffen Jakob , The author of the engine "Hossa". Brause only plays the Halloween gambit, and does it very effectively. As far as I know it has never been made public. Just thought you might find the info interesting. Thanks, Karger
Thanks, that is interesting.

This is my tentative list of engines to include in this tourney

[Participants]
Engine1=Gambit Kitten
Engine2=GambitFruit 4bx SE
Engine3=Komodo 1.0 Gambit
Engine4=Shredder 12 Kamikaze
Engine5=Tiger Aggressive
Engine6=Tiger Gambit
Engine7=Junior 2010 Gambit
Engine8=Tiger Gambit Anti-Human

I had planned to use 10 opening lines, but a round robin tourney with 8 engines is 560 games. I might change to something less ambitious, such as a Swiss tournament, especially if i find more entrants. :roll:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

David Dahlem wrote:
karger wrote:Hi David , Please post your results, I love gambit play. There is also one highly unique engine Called " Brause" By Steffen Jakob , The author of the engine "Hossa". Brause only plays the Halloween gambit, and does it very effectively. As far as I know it has never been made public. Just thought you might find the info interesting. Thanks, Karger
Thanks, that is interesting.

This is my tentative list of engines to include in this tourney

[Participants]
Engine1=Gambit Kitten
Engine2=GambitFruit 4bx SE
Engine3=Komodo 1.0 Gambit
Engine4=Shredder 12 Kamikaze
Engine5=Tiger Aggressive
Engine6=Tiger Gambit
Engine7=Junior 2010 Gambit
Engine8=Tiger Gambit Anti-Human

I had planned to use 10 opening lines, but a round robin tourney with 8 engines is 560 games. I might change to something less ambitious, such as a Swiss tournament, especially if i find more entrants. :roll:
Just because they have "gambit" in their names does not imply to me that they understand gambits.

Suggestion:
Take 25 gambit positions and analyze them with various engines, and see which ones have a score that is commensurate with the position.

Unless you just want a tournament with chess programs with "gambit" or gambit like sounds in their names.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

hey david, fwiw i'm running my psycho junior against your komodo gambit personality in a 1+1 test using albert's gambit suite. at least, i hope it's against the gambit personality & not the default -- i'm not 100%, but i followed the instructions. i figure results could give an idea about tuning for rough equality for your gambit junior; i expect komodo to drub this version of junior but we'll see. interested in your gambit settings as they stand btw. you'll really enjoy your new junior engine, trust me. :)
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

yanquis1972 wrote:hey david, fwiw i'm running my psycho junior against your komodo gambit personality in a 1+1 test using albert's gambit suite. at least, i hope it's against the gambit personality & not the default -- i'm not 100%, but i followed the instructions. i figure results could give an idea about tuning for rough equality for your gambit junior; i expect komodo to drub this version of junior but we'll see. interested in your gambit settings as they stand btw. you'll really enjoy your new junior engine, trust me. :)
I agree, Komodo Gambit should get the better of it. My Shredder 12 Kamikaze settings scored 11.5/20 against the Komodo settings. Fairly even.

If you are using Arena, the Komodo personality being used should be displayed when you close the configuration window. Not sure about other interfaces though.