strongest engine for middle game: 1 hour per move

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kohflote

strongest engine for middle game: 1 hour per move

Post by Kohflote »

Hi all,

On a Intel core 2 duo, 2.26 Ghz, 2Gb Ram, Win-XP, in your opinion, for 1 hour per move, which is the strongest engine for middle game (both open and closed position)?

Thank you,
Kah Huat, Koh
- from Singapore
yanquis1972

Re: strongest engine for middle game: 1 hour per move

Post by yanquis1972 »

stockfish is said to be fantastic when given long thinks (say 1-4 hours on your h/w); i myself still have never really gotten around to using it, so i would personally go with firebird 1.1. if you want completely clean hands, though, i'd say rybka or shredder...rybka is the safest bet. but frankly i wouldn't want to purchase rybka 3 right now with rybka 4 looming. naum is also excellent, but if you don't own an engine, shredder has its own GUI etc & is equivalent strength; a better buy imo.

imo komodo will be amazing at LTC when it's finalized. it's already a great analysis partner in quiet positions despite being so young & lacking SMP and m-pv.[/b]
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

I don't think that 1 hr per move will make much of a difference if it was 15 sec per move... The tactics the engine will find will be the same whether it is 1 hr per move or 15 secs per move... For closed positions... well... I have yet to see an engine which can evaluate closed positions correctly... The problem is the engines try to open the position too soon and most of the time it spoils the advantage...
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

rybka is the safest bet

The problem with Rybka search is that it's just mainline checking and never trying to find a better move.
Hood

Post by Hood »

Hi,

IMSO:
Hiarcs, Robbolito, Firebird

rgds
chris
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

Rybka is the best engine, however, unfortunatedly, she will not always display a complete line, jsut give a strong positive score.

As alternatives, try Zappa Mexico II or Naum 4.1.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Definitely RobboLite 0.085 g3....
Rybka is an awful choice with it's faked output,depth,bugs,etc....you name it....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….