The Junior/ Hiarcs Intifada

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessfurby

The Junior/ Hiarcs Intifada

Post by chessfurby »

Hi fellow chessfreaks/ authors

Currently there are lot of weird things going on. One of the funniest but at the same time most sad things in this...

After welcoming the latest Junior 11.1 release the enthusiastic buyers get to read the following in the EULA (if anyone cares to read em, that is):

>>>>5. THUERINGEN 2010 TOURNAMENT RESTRICTION
This Software may not be used to play in the forthcoming Thueringen tournament of 2010, if that tournament includes Ippolit or any of its derivatives (variously named Igorrit, Robbolito, Firebird, IvanHoe and Tankist), except with the express premission of Amir Ban or Shay Bushinsky.

No, i am not joking. Check for yourself.

1.) Thuringia tournament
-is a pretty well known traditional computer chess tournament, thats been around for decades. Its a completely private organized tournament which is held in thuringia, germany. The tournament organiser, the guy who ran the show for many years (and also was CEGT rating list tester), Rainer, died of cancer some time ago in 2008 and last year the tournament was held the first time in memory of him.
Important is - its totally private tournament (users) - its not an official federation behind it.
Thuringia tournament has always accepted in *any* engine, since private users dont have the capability or knowledge to review code, detect clones and derivative work etcetc, so for example TOGA was allowed in many years ago, albeit being a clone/ derivative work as well. Its a just for fun tourney after all. The only rule was that there should only be one engine of its kind, so no 2 shredders at the same time etcetc

This years tournament director - in the light of recent events - decided to allow *one* ippo/robbo/fire/... engine in. A few weeks later we find the above quoted sentence in the EULA of Junior 11.1 engine, sold via Hiarcschess and rumor has it that we shall also find aboves restriction in the upcoming Hiarcs realease.

No, this is not a joke.

Pretty cool eh? A special rule for user tournaments forbidding to play Junior vs "them clone engines" ? Big brother is watching you? Harvey gonna tell us when we are allowe to use the washrooms or kiss the wife!?

Cheers
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: The Junior/ Hiarcs Intifada

Post by Sylwy »

Comrades to play against capitalists ?????
What joke is this ???????
Money to play against " pro deo " entities ?????
What joke is this ???????
In my tournaments all Ippo/Robbo families are welcomed !
Serious !
I'm a democrat !
Belive me !

:lol: :lol: 8-) :lol: :lol:

Yours,
Silvian
govert

Post by govert »

:shock:
*speechless*

Irrespectible of the origins of Ippolot & CO, this just blows my mind....
bob

Post by bob »

govert wrote::shock:
*speechless*

Irrespectible of the origins of Ippolot & CO, this just blows my mind....
And most likely it is not enforceable either...
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

After reading this and staring in awe for a couple minutes, what I find myself wondering is why they even bother releasing an UCI version.

I've been trying to pin down Harvey on the HIRACS forum about the use of .ctg books by the engines and he's been evasive enough that I've had to really restrain myself from bashing CB.

Anyway, the point is, they sort of get the point that users want to do what they want to do, and that's why UCI was important. But then, they release special books "for free" in .ctg format along with the engines that restrict use in various ways, and then this where they want to restrict use again.

In other words, someone "got it" enough to make an UCI version, but then completely missed the point when it came to the EULA and the .ctg books.
govert

Post by govert »

ehh... I'm not sure this thread belongs in this subforum. Please explain on what grounds it has been moved.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

govert wrote:ehh... I'm not sure this thread belongs in this subforum. Please explain on what grounds it has been moved.
I wasn't aware it had been moved. I was about to request it be moved to the main forum as it has nothing to do with clone discussions. This is about Junior's EULA, which just happens to mention the robbo family.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

bnemias wrote:
govert wrote:ehh... I'm not sure this thread belongs in this subforum. Please explain on what grounds it has been moved.
I wasn't aware it had been moved. I was about to request it be moved to the main forum as it has nothing to do with clone discussions. This is about Junior's EULA, which just happens to mention the robbo family.
I've moved it to the General Forum and left a link from the CEO forum.

Jeremy
govert

Post by govert »

Thanks Jeremy :wink:
bob

Post by bob »

bnemias wrote:
This seems to be the typical knee-jerk reaction when someone sees the string "robo" or "ipp"...