Linux GUI with variation board

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

muxecoid

Linux GUI with variation board

Post by muxecoid »

Hello. Is there a GUI for Linux that supports analysis mode and variation board. Preferably free. Native (or Java)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Linux GUI with variation board

Post by hgm »

What is a 'variation board'?
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

Sorry. I mean something similar to variation board in Arena. You look at engine output lines, select a line and GUI plays the moves from engine PVs on a separate board.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Ah, in WinBoard the PV is displayed on the main board when you select a line. from the engine-output.

In XBoard this unfortunately does not work yet: I don't know how to translate a click in a text widget into a character number in the X-toolkit.
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

hgm wrote:Ah, in WinBoard the PV is displayed on the main board when you select a line. from the engine-output.

In XBoard this unfortunately does not work yet: I don't know how to translate a click in a text widget into a character number in the X-toolkit.
Ah. :( Are there any plans for GtkBoard or QtBoard or wxBoard in the future?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Yes, Arun Persaud is working on a GTK port of XBoard. The basics of this already sort of works. But of course the problem will remain the same: clicking something in the engine-output window will not do something automatically. You have to program it, and to do that, you will have to know how.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

muxecoid wrote:Hello. Is there a GUI for Linux that supports analysis mode and variation board. Preferably free. Native (or Java)
try the linux version of shredder at shredderchess.com
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, I figured out how to do it. So the version of XBoard in my source code repository now allows right-clicking on the PVs in the Engine-Output window to walk through them on the main board (by vertical mouse moving with the right button down), just like WinBoard already had.
mathmoi

Post by mathmoi »

wxBoard would be really cool :)
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, it already exists. Look at the gtk branch of the GNU repository.

What makes it less cool, is that it is not even at the level of XBoard 4.2.7 yet. And even a wxBoard that is like current XBoard would only look cool to WinBoard users because they would see it as an ice-age tool. :lol:

Another problem is that I have not succeeded in compiling the gtk branch on my Linux (Ubntu) 8.04, and also not on Windows+Cygwin. So it is more like 00Board...