2010 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CRoberson

Re: 2010 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Post by CRoberson »

Due to an unexpected schedule conflict Diep has withdrawn.

There will be a competitors meeting at 8:30 AM ICC Server Time on Saturday.

I have been informed that the ICC bots don't properly handle swiss tournaments when the number of rounds exceeds the number of competitors divided by 2. So, we will change the tournament format.

The competitors are voting via email and it will be discussed in the competitors meeting starting 30 minutes before the tournament at 8:30 AM ICC server time (New York USA time). Just log onto ICC and type date to see ICC server time.

Here are the two choices we are considering.
1) Run a 5 round swiss qualifier tournament. Then run a 7 round
round-robin tournament with the top 8 from the qualifying tournament. There
would be 8 rounds Saturday and 4 rounds Sunday.

2) Run a 9 round swiss tournament. There would be 6 rounds
Saturday and 3 rounds Sunday.
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

CRoberson wrote:Due to an unexpected schedule conflict Diep has withdrawn.

There will be a competitors meeting at 8:30 AM ICC Server Time on Saturday.

I have been informed that the ICC bots don't properly handle swiss tournaments when the number of rounds exceeds the number of competitors divided by 2. So, we will change the tournament format.

The competitors are voting via email and it will be discussed in the competitors meeting starting 30 minutes before the tournament at 8:30 AM ICC server time (New York USA time). Just log onto ICC and type date to see ICC server time.

Here are the two choices we are considering.
1) Run a 5 round swiss qualifier tournament. Then run a 7 round
round-robin tournament with the top 8 from the qualifying tournament. There
would be 8 rounds Saturday and 4 rounds Sunday.

2) Run a 9 round swiss tournament. There would be 6 rounds
Saturday and 3 rounds Sunday.
How soon after each round will the PGNs be posted? I look forward to such reports since non-ICC members cannot observe it live.
Matthew Hull
jdart

Post by jdart »

I appreciate the difficulty, but IMO it is most irregular to have the format undecided until the moment before the tourney.

IIRC, some previous tourneys were not paired by ICC tournament bots at all but were paired externally with Swiss Perfect or something similar. So maybe that is an option.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:I appreciate the difficulty, but IMO it is most irregular to have the format undecided until the moment before the tourney.

IIRC, some previous tourneys were not paired by ICC tournament bots at all but were paired externally with Swiss Perfect or something similar. So maybe that is an option.
I usually pair the CCT events manually. Pretty easy to do, but a bit of a hassle when many games at the same time.

Recording the results and saving the games for publishing online at the same time without messing up can be a challenge.

If you need someone to manually pair the rounds, I can do it if needed.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Peter Skinner wrote:
mhull wrote:
CRoberson wrote: In the past guest have been able to watch the matches and chat on channel 64 with us.

Guest accounts cannot observe any games whatsoever on ICC. Last year they could observer non-rated games. This year, nothing. If you don't believe it, just try. You can't even issue the "games" command.
ICC Channel 1 wrote:Lisebeth(*) tells you: Ouch it seems that its nolonger possible for guests to use the 'games' command and they also can nolonger observe. This is a change that either slipped in and shouldnt or wasnt told yet. Sorry.

Also, if you used a one-week trial in the past, it won't let you create another one (if it can figure out you had one in the past, and it usually can).

ICC is therefore a very bad place to put a tournament if the organizer wants anyone who is not a paying ICC member to be able to watch
I just noticed this as well over the past weekend.

As this seems to be new policy, the CCT will now always be held on FICS. One of the reasons I hold the event is so people can come and converse with the participants, and is actually one of my favorite parts of the tournament.
>the CCT will now always be held on FICS

Do you mean as of today's event?
Or is it still going on on ICC which means at least I won't be able to follow it live?
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

The tournament has started on ICC.

>pear round 1 (of 9), Tourney is in progress
> White Black
> ^ChessThinkerX 3029 ^Gaviota 2486
> ^Deuterium2009 2458 ^Sjeng 2908
> ^Buzz 2829 ^ArasanX 2436
> ^Telepath 2435 ^Rybka 2813
> ^crafty 2665 ^Tinker 2419
> ^plisk 2198 ^jabbaC 2594
> ^thebaron 2593 ^HfC 2122
> ^AlmondX 2041 ^HannibalX 2514
> &Tornado-C 2490 ?dshawul 1978
Audmeister

Post by Audmeister »

I can relay 1 game on FICS... if that is possible for me to do without getting in trouble...

Which game would you guys like me to relay?
Audmeister

Post by Audmeister »

Actually I will relay Hannibal's games on FICS!

type "ob wawoy"
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I am having a bad connection and unfortunately there is no one at school to fix it today. Still trying to connect from my laptop but no luck so far.. I will be there to at least chat with programmers if everything goes well.

Daniel
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

I currently have scorpio 2.2 running under the NoonianChess account on my laptop.