Is the SSDF still alive?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lmader

Is the SSDF still alive?

Post by lmader »

I hope I'm not being a total noob and asking an obvious question that's been covered everywhere, but here it is:

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
"The foundation of morality is to have done, once for all, with lying; to give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge." - T. H. Huxley
Dann Corbit

Re: Is the SSDF still alive?

Post by Dann Corbit »

lmader wrote:I hope I'm not being a total noob and asking an obvious question that's been covered everywhere, but here it is:

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
Here is a fairly recent post in the tournament forum:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 37&t=33411
Arturo Ochoa

YES...

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

lmader wrote:I hope I'm not being a total noob and asking an obvious question that's been covered everywhere, but here it is:

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... light=ssdf
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
Hello Lar,

Tony Hedlund reported as recently as April 2 results of tests between Deep Fritz 12 and Naum.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

I value the SSDF's tests above all others.

After all, the SSDF tests at standard chess time-controls while the other groups test at shorter time controls. Yes, the other groups obtain greater quantity as a result, but lack standard time-control quality. Since standard tournament chess is played at "standard time-controls", then that's the real way to test - with standard time-controls. Testing with non-standard conditions requires one to assume standard results from non-standard data. So, most groups generate quantity at the expense of quality standard conditions, while the SSDF generates "real life" results but less quantity of data.

The SSDF performs statistical analysis to determine that they've generated adequate game quantity for their rating results to be valid within stated bounds.

All the best,
Steve
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Stephen Ham wrote:

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
Hello Lar,

Tony Hedlund reported as recently as April 2 results of tests between Deep Fritz 12 and Naum.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

I value the SSDF's tests above all others.

After all, the SSDF tests at standard chess time-controls while the other groups test at shorter time controls. Yes, the other groups obtain greater quantity as a result, but lack standard time-control quality. Since standard tournament chess is played at "standard time-controls", then that's the real way to test - with standard time-controls. Testing with non-standard conditions requires one to assume standard results from non-standard data. So, most groups generate quantity at the expense of quality standard conditions, while the SSDF generates "real life" results but less quantity of data.

The SSDF performs statistical analysis to determine that they've generated adequate game quantity for their rating results to be valid within stated bounds.

All the best,
Steve
It is worth adding they also test with ponder on (a huge difference), and upgraded their hardware to include quad-core machines.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
lmader

Post by lmader »

Awesome, thank you all!
Stephen Ham wrote:I value the SSDF's tests above all others.
Likewise! I love that SSDF juicy testing goodness. It's the foie gras of rating lists, the Large Hadron Collider of testing, the... ummm... Jagermeister of it all.
"The foundation of morality is to have done, once for all, with lying; to give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge." - T. H. Huxley
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

lmader wrote:Awesome, thank you all!
Stephen Ham wrote:I value the SSDF's tests above all others.
Likewise! I love that SSDF juicy testing goodness. It's the foie gras of rating lists, the Large Hadron Collider of testing, the... ummm... Jagermeister of it all.
Hi Lar,

Yup! They're the top dog, the chief honcho, the big kahuna, and the head cheese of rating testers.

:) :) :)

Lar, please tell me about yourself. Your name doesn't sound Mexican. :)

All the best,
Steve
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Is the SSDF still alive?

Thanks!
I could not find it in the links mentioned but Tony Hedlund recently posted in one of the Rybka sub-forums that he moved most SSDF results from his old to his new site:

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb432434/welcome.htm

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
lmader

Post by lmader »

Eelco de Groot wrote:...his new site:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb432434/welcome.htm
Eelco
Ok, now this is extremely interesting/helpful!
Stephen Ham wrote:Lar, please tell me about yourself. Your name doesn't sound Mexican. :)
True, true. I'm from the U.S., of Swedish/German ancestry, but currently living in Mexico.