Page 1 of 3

Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:13 am
by rvida
The first SMP version of Critter is available:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jgydzytfyro

Main changes:

* SMP support (max 8 threads). If hyperthreading is turned on, please set number of threads to number of physical cores.
* Support of "searchmoves" UCI option (useful for IDEA)
* Decreased middlegame pawn value, but much larger passed pawn bonuses
* Added some endgame heuristics (KRPKR, KQKP, opposite colored bishop endings)
* Somewhat slower NPS, but faster time-to-depth

My own single thread testing against Critter 0.52b shows 42 ELO improvement (with error margins +-7). I don't have a precise figure about performance vs. other engines.

Enjoy,

Richard

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 am
by Graham Banks
Thanks Richard. :D

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 am
by Zagalo
Thanks, looks good. Any JA compile ?

Dont forget to 'get ideas from Robbo code' to get a big boost as stockfish 1.7 ;)

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:34 am
by alpha123
rvida wrote:The first SMP version of Critter is available:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jgydzytfyro

Main changes:

* SMP support (max 8 threads). If hyperthreading is turned on, please set number of threads to number of physical cores.
* Support of "searchmoves" UCI option (useful for IDEA)
* Decreased middlegame pawn value, but much larger passed pawn bonuses
* Added some endgame heuristics (KRPKR, KQKP, opposite colored bishop endings)
* Somewhat slower NPS, but faster time-to-depth

My own single thread testing against Critter 0.52b shows 42 ELO improvement (with error margins +-7). I don't have a precise figure about performance vs. other engines.

Enjoy,

Richard
HOORAY!

Seriously, I've been waiting an MP release since like 0.42 or something.


Protector 1.3.4 JA 64-bit,
Crafty 23.2 JA 64-bit,
Scorpio 2.5 JA 64-bit,
and bright-0.5c will likely be its first opponents. Maybe some version of Toga also.

Congratulations,
Peter

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 am
by Graham Banks
alpha123 wrote: Protector 1.3.4 JA 64-bit,
Crafty 23.2 JA 64-bit,
Scorpio 2.5 JA 64-bit,
and bright-0.5c will likely be its first opponents. Maybe some version of Toga also
Sounds like a sensible selection of opponents.

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:11 am
by alpha123
Graham Banks wrote:
alpha123 wrote: Protector 1.3.4 JA 64-bit,
Crafty 23.2 JA 64-bit,
Scorpio 2.5 JA 64-bit,
and bright-0.5c will likely be its first opponents. Maybe some version of Toga also
Sounds like a sensible selection of opponents.
Thanks. The CCRL list helped :). It's kinda tough to find some decent amateur SMP engines, so I might through in a stronger engine (Thinker, spark, or Shredder probably) on a single core.

Peter

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 am
by Mincho Georgiev
I'm sure this one is going to jump in CCRL's top 10 on 4 cores. And sorry if it's an underestimation.
Nicely done!

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm
by nepossiver
Any plans for a linux compile? I - and I bet many more people here - would love a linux version. (Or maybe the source...)

Anyway, thanks for the engine.

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm
by mhalstern
I've been waiting for this.

I'm going to run a Gauntlet on my 4.0 GHZ I7-920. Look for the crostable and a link to the games on the "Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches" forum, sometime before the weekend.

Re: Critter goes SMP (version 0.60 is released)

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 pm
by Martin Thoresen
Hello Richard!

Looking forward to test your engine.

Here's your new beauty in action:

Image