Computer analysis of the world championship.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jwes

Computer analysis of the world championship.

Post by jwes »

The Anand-Topalov WC match starts next Friday, April 23. It occurred to me that if we work together, we could do deep computer analysis of every move. My idea is find a number of participants, divide the moves between them depending on the computer power available and possibly not considering moves which are standard openings or where the game is obviously decided, analyze each move in 2 (or possibly more) pv mode for some hours, and assembling the result.
Please reply if you are interested, stating how much computer power you could provide. Any ideas for making this work better are also welcome.
muxecoid

Re: Computer analysis of the world championship.

Post by muxecoid »

There are many chess journalists doing it anyway.

Purely automatic computer analysis is of little value to human reader.
vladstamate

Post by vladstamate »

muxecoid wrote:There are many chess journalists doing it anyway.

I am sure they are doing it. But what Wesley is proposing is distributed analysis which, depending how many people sign up, could provide well more power and therefore in depth analysis than individual journalists ever will. Albeit of course, without the human element.

And I actually do think computer analysis does have some value even to the human reader.

I would like to participate. Hardware:

CPU: AMD Phenom quadcore 2.6Ghz
Mem: 4GB

Regards,
Vlad.
humble_programmer

Post by humble_programmer »

Count me in!

Windows 7 running on a quad core Intel i920 + 12GB RAM, with the following 64-bit engines available:

Rybka 3 MP / Fritz 12 (single core) / Stockfish 1.7.1
jwes

Post by jwes »

vladstamate wrote:
muxecoid wrote:There are many chess journalists doing it anyway.

I am sure they are doing it. But what Wesley is proposing is distributed analysis which, depending how many people sign up, could provide well more power and therefore in depth analysis than individual journalists ever will. Albeit of course, without the human element.

And I actually do think computer analysis does have some value even to the human reader.
Exactly. I am hoping that we can analyze each move for some hours. This may not give strategic insights, but I would expect to find tactical shots the players miss. For people that think computer analysis gives little, try analyzing a few human annotated games with deep computer analysis. You will fairly frequently find moves that human commentators missed.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

The organizing committee of the World Championship match between Anand and Topalov has refused Anand’s request for a 3-day postponement.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/bulga ... tponement/
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Zagalo »

AdminX wrote: The organizing committee of the World Championship match between Anand and Topalov has refused Anand’s request for a 3-day postponement.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/bulga ... tponement/
He is trying to figure out how to manage going to the bathroom 50 times! :lol:
shiv

Post by shiv »

I thought the request to postpone was quite reasonable. I am surprised that organizers do not grant it on account of minor technicalities. Shame on the organizers.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

shiv wrote:I thought the request to postpone was quite reasonable. I am surprised that organizers do not grant it on account of minor technicalities. Shame on the organizers.
Fully agreed. It seems as if the bulgarian organizers are not really aware of the situation in Western Europe these days after the volcanic eruption in Iceland and the blocking of many airports. "Going by private car" is ridiculous IMO, and trains are overcrowded. Even Mrs. Merkel had had problems to travel where she wanted to.

Sven
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D still hoping it pushes thru........... :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................