Doom for Commercial Chess Softaware Unless...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Doom for Commercial Chess Softaware Unless...

Post by fern »

....unless they can give to us a phenomenal better GUI and services package. With monster like robolito and others of the same class, who need a new Shredder or even Hiarcs, for God sake?
But of course if you give a very strong engine -even if it is not the strongest- AND a package full of frills, services, databases, tutorials etc, Chessmaster class but 5 times better, then surely I will purchase.
The times for just-the-engine.get-the-gui-elsewhere are dead.

I have been preaching this since 5 years at least and nobody gave me the due reason I have regards...

Fern
Dann Corbit

Re: Doom for Commercial Chess Softaware Unless...

Post by Dann Corbit »

fern wrote:....unless they can give to us a phenomenal better GUI and services package. With monster like robolito and others of the same class, who need a new Shredder or even Hiarcs, for God sake?
But of course if you give a very strong engine -even if it is not the strongest- AND a package full of frills, services, databases, tutorials etc, Chessmaster class but 5 times better, then surely I will purchase.

I have been preaching this since 5 years at least and nobody gave me the due reason I have regards...

Fern
For sure the best selling program in the world is ChessMaster.
It's about 1000 Elo weaker than the strongest programs.
Nobody cares. The program does what people need, and it sits on the store shelves where it can collect attention from potential buyers.

The really strong engines bundle anyway (E.g. Rybka comes from ChessOK -- {Aquarium Or ChessAssistant}, ChessBase, and have nice features to go with the power).
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

fern wrote:....unless they can give to us a phenomenal better GUI and services package. With monster like robolito and others of the same class, who need a new Shredder or even Hiarcs, for God sake?

Fern

I don't know....Hiarcs and Shredder provide customer service, strong engines, and limit strength functions. Other than Stockfish I have not been enamored with any of the free standalone engines. I do like Crafty but only with it's own GUI.

Even Stockfish has some funky evaluations for analysis and such. (but I really do like it)

I don't mind free stuff (I LOVE open office) but so far I have found (in general) that the commercial engines better serve my needs at the moment.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:

Fern
It's about 1000 Elo weaker than the strongest programs.Nobody cares. The program does what people need, and it sits on the store shelves where it can collect attention from potential buyers.

The really strong engines bundle anyway (E.g. Rybka comes from ChessOK -- {Aquarium Or ChessAssistant}, ChessBase, and have nice features to go with the power).
Around 700 Elo weaker in my rating list than the number one which is FireBire Ep8+ x64 MP,a personality created by me....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Fern
It's about 1000 Elo weaker than the strongest programs.Nobody cares. The program does what people need, and it sits on the store shelves where it can collect attention from potential buyers.

Around 700 Elo weaker in my rating list than the number one which is FireBire Ep8+ x64 MP,a personality created by me....
Dr.D
Thanks for the info.Dr.Deeb. I would love to test your engine.

Best,
Gerold.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I for one do indeed see Fernando's point. A gui with more eye candy and UCI engine compatibility with chessbase 9 functions with IDEA and Monte Carlo, entertainment value (speaking personalities like Nimzo or whom ever with attendant visible 'turk' of Fritz like functions ) with all the other wishes I would pay for sans engine. Easily. x2.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

gerold wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Fern

Dr.D

Best,
Gerold.
I'll pm you the settings in a half an hour Gerold....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

gerold wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Fern

Dr.D

Best,
Gerold.
I would also like to test your personality, Dr. Deeb. Would you be willing to share the settings? :lol:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

David Dahlem wrote:
gerold wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Fern

Dr.D

Best,
Gerold.
I would also like to test your personality, Dr. Deeb. Would you be willing to share the settings? :lol:
+2 :D
gerold

Post by gerold »

Received them. Thank you Doctor.

Best,
Gerold.