Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Not in my case...being as I am some kind of "special" person in my country, I receive all Microsoft stuff for free.
So the lady come to me and do all that for free,

yum yjm
Fern
Lucky you,I have to pay every time :roll:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bob

Post by bob »

Fedora 13 is about 2 weeks away from release. Fedora 12 has been exceptionally good. Either in 32 bit or 64 bit platforms.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

bob wrote:Fedora 13 is about 2 weeks away from release. Fedora 12 has been exceptionally good. Either in 32 bit or 64 bit platforms.
I agree. Fedora 12 on my laptop is extreme good. Last time I tried Ubuntu, it felt sluggish compared to Fedora. Fedora 13 is looking to be a great release as well.

Oddly enough, I find myself in Linux more and more these days. I really only flip to my Windows 7 installation for the calendar within Outlook. (I use a Blackberry phone, and sync with Outlook for records purposes)

I haven't found anything close to Outlook for Linux. If I did...
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
vb4

Off the subject

Post by vb4 »

Hi Peter,

I was wondering if you or anyone you know have the stat files for the 5-1 (6 piece endgame tablebase). I only need the stats for a project I am working on. Lone knig vs 5 pieces for the other side. Although most of these will result in a win for the heavy side and few draws I would be interested in the stat files.

Thx in advance Peter,

Les
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

I've just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 - a straightforward, clean install - and the installation crashed twice. When I finally did install it successfully, it crashed again. I've installed several Linuxes on various PCs over the past year (including the previous Ubuntu) and never had these problems before.
Marek Soszynski
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

And just how easy is it to get Rybka 64-bit running under Linux compared to Windows?
wolfv wrote:Piece of cake.
Only to an experienced baker.
Marek Soszynski
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

Linux sucks. I use Ubuntu, and it's one of the better and most praised ones, but my God it sucks.

Every time a new distribution comes, and you are suggested to upgrade, it is a nightmare. People complain about Windows update, but this...this is something different. I upgraded from Jaunty Jackalope to Karmic Koala or whatever and it stopped working. Sound was gone, and it was as slow as my friend's Pentium 133 Mhz with Windows 2000 on it.

Reinstalled.

It does not work with my 2 monitors. I use laptop screen + one big monitor at home and I have two monitors + docking tower at office. Couldn't set it up for the 2 monitors at the office. And yeah, even with the laptop it got screen resolution wrong and I had to get into console read a bunch of instructions just to set up correct screen resolution.

Now this new version came, I installed it. It screwed up everything again, including the GRUB (boot loader) and screen resolution.

I am a Linux noob but an Operating system which self-destroys every time you update it and which cannot get your screen resolution right is like...meh. Frankly I don't understand people who say "it is easy and as good and Windows". It is free, and if you are a pro who does not have a problem with hand-repairing sound drivers after an OS update, give it a go. If not, and you want very, very basic things like screen resolution and double monitors to work without you reading 3 pages about how to set it up, pay that damn 50$ and get a Windows. It is the best value for your money.
Chan Rasjid

Post by Chan Rasjid »

playjunior wrote:Linux sucks. I use Ubuntu, and it's one of the better and most praised ones, but my God it sucks.

... If not, and you want very, very basic things like screen resolution and double monitors to work without you reading 3 pages about how to set it up, pay that damn 50$ and get a Windows. It is the best value for your money.
Accepted...as long as we want to pay that EURO 50....
..Or pay EURO10 to a kindly neighbour to do Linux serving.
-- Or stick to ONE monitor to make life simple!
ilari

Post by ilari »

playjunior wrote:I am a Linux noob but an Operating system which self-destroys every time you update it and which cannot get your screen resolution right is like...meh. Frankly I don't understand people who say "it is easy and as good and Windows". It is free, and if you are a pro who does not have a problem with hand-repairing sound drivers after an OS update, give it a go. If not, and you want very, very basic things like screen resolution and double monitors to work without you reading 3 pages about how to set it up, pay that damn 50$ and get a Windows. It is the best value for your money.
As a counter anecdote, here's my experience with Ubuntu 10.04:
- Installed in 15 minutes without any problems.
- Recognized all my hardware: sound, 3D accelerated graphics, two screens, wifi, webcam, Wacom tablet, etc.
- Boots in 20 seconds.
- So far I've needed only 1 reboot because I enabled a proprietary NVIDIA driver.

Compare with my Windows 7 experience:
- Basic installation took almost an hour. If you count the time to install an office suite, pdf reader and other software that is preinstalled in Ubuntu, it's even worse.
- Didn't recognize my webcam or Wacom tablet without installing separate drivers.
- Boots in 45 seconds.
- Wants to reboot the machine almost every time I install updates.

The reason why my Ubuntu experience was better than yours is because I have Linux-compatible hardware. It makes all the difference. It's valid criticism to point out that all hardware isn't supported by Linux. But that shouldn't be summarized as "Linux sucks" because it says nothing about the general design, usability or performance of Linux.
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

playjunior wrote:Linux sucks. ...
I am a ... noob .
You agree that someone may detect a corellation between these two sentences, don't you? ;-)