Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by AdminX »

alpha123 wrote:
playjunior wrote:
ilari wrote:
playjunior wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:
playjunior wrote:Linux sucks. ...
I am a ... noob .
You agree that someone may detect a corellation between these two sentences, don't you? ;-)
No, I don't. Sound and screen resolution are most basic things and should work regardless of whether the user is advanced or not.
No one is disputing that. But it is true that noobs often fail to see where the problem is, so they put the blame on Linux when the culprit is actually a 3rd party (hardware manufacturer, 3rd party software, US patent system, etc.).

So true Peter!
So you argue that the fact that I had to read pages of documentation to "add" the correct screen mode is because hardware, 3rd party software or patent laws? I had just installed the OS, and Windows does detect the resolution without any divine intervention, for the same hardware.
The machine was built for Windows, correct?

Now install Windows on a Mac OS X machine, or a netbook or something that had Linux on it from the start. Good luck getting the same result.....

Peter
So true peter!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by ernst »

I ran into a serious bug the first day I tried this OS and it renders it quite unusable to me. and for chess for that matter.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/556636
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

ernst wrote:I ran into a serious bug the first day I tried this OS and it renders it quite unusable to me. and for chess for that matter.

I may be confused about this or I may not understand what checkbox does, so I ask. Why do you say that a bug in testing program makes the OS unusable for chess? Do you really need to test you system everery time you run chess software?

I have a double boot, 64 and 32 bits. I generally update one quickly, and I wait in the other for potential problems to be solved.

Miguel
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

michiguel wrote:...
I have a double boot, 64 and 32 bits. I generally update one quickly, and I wait in the other for potential problems to be solved.

Miguel
I updated my home computer and a netbook to 10.04 LTS today. I tried the 64-bit version for the desktop and had to notice that there is still no 64-bit flash-plugin available. There are workarounds for that but to my experience this stuff is like shooting in your own foot.

Cause I don't plan to participate in any serious chess tournaments in the forseeable future the speed of chess programs is secondary. And chess-programs are the only applications I'm aware of that potentially take benefit from a 64-bit OS. So I decided to install the 32-bit OS on the desktop as well.

Both installations run without any problems. The (for me) new software-center is great. Everything what I need was installed within an hour here. I was full satistied with 8.04, 10.04 looks even better.

Volker
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

playjunior wrote:Linux sucks. I use Ubuntu, and it's one of the better and most praised ones, but my God it sucks.

Every time a new distribution comes, and you are suggested to upgrade, it is a nightmare. People complain about Windows update, but this...this is something different. I upgraded from Jaunty Jackalope to Karmic Koala or whatever and it stopped working. Sound was gone, and it was as slow as my friend's Pentium 133 Mhz with Windows 2000 on it.

Reinstalled.

It does not work with my 2 monitors. I use laptop screen + one big monitor at home and I have two monitors + docking tower at office. Couldn't set it up for the 2 monitors at the office. And yeah, even with the laptop it got screen resolution wrong and I had to get into console read a bunch of instructions just to set up correct screen resolution.

Now this new version came, I installed it. It screwed up everything again, including the GRUB (boot loader) and screen resolution.

I am a Linux noob but an Operating system which self-destroys every time you update it and which cannot get your screen resolution right is like...meh. Frankly I don't understand people who say "it is easy and as good and Windows". It is free, and if you are a pro who does not have a problem with hand-repairing sound drivers after an OS update, give it a go. If not, and you want very, very basic things like screen resolution and double monitors to work without you reading 3 pages about how to set it up, pay that damn 50$ and get a Windows. It is the best value for your money.
Ouch, I see what you mean about the updating. I just tried to update form 9.10 to 10.04.... and it froze. Leaving Ubuntu in an inconsistent state. I restarted the computer, Windows complained about some kind of "disk-checking" when I started it back up, and then I just uninstalled Ubuntu (I installed it with Wubi).

I have to say, that was worse than the time one of my laptops updated to Vista SP1 (maybe 2), and got random blue screens of death. Turned out it needed some other update that it hadn't installed before installing the service pack....

Peter
ernst

Post by ernst »

michiguel wrote:
ernst wrote:I ran into a serious bug the first day I tried this OS and it renders it quite unusable to me. and for chess for that matter.

I may be confused about this or I may not understand what checkbox does, so I ask. Why do you say that a bug in testing program makes the OS unusable for chess? Do you really need to test you system everery time you run chess software?

Miguel
Because the cpu gets hogged at (in my case) 100%