Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by fern »

Ted:
Would you say that is better than W7?

Fern
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

wolfv wrote:Piece of cake. Get 'microwine' (google for it) or look it up in the Rybka forum where you will also get the instructions how to go about it. Takes about 3-5 minutes from the moment you decide to really try Rybka 3 in Linux. On the other hand you can download the Linux native Stockfish 1.7.1 or the exquisite Linux native Naum 4.2 (and pay only 25 euros for it).

Have fun with Linux. Be aware though that it takes quite a bit of time to learn some of the subtleties later on in order to tailor your own Linux system completely, just the way you want it. The pay-off for the effort is more than adequate, if you ask me.

regards
Agreed.

BTW the graphical effects just make Windows look primitive.... I kid you not.

Peter
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

fern wrote:Ted:
Would you say that is better than W7?

Fern
Hi Fern,

I use both, but I do think Windows 7 is one of the better versions of Windows that I have used to date. I have been using Linux for some time also (Since Redhat version 5 I think) and I have seen Linux improve on the desktop at a very fast pace. Not to mention that it is Free. At the end of the day if you were willing to take a little time to learn a new OS (I love Ubuntu) then with Linux you get a better return on your investment ($$$). So to try to answer your question, my answer is += in favor of Linux. But I'm a tech person so I love all things that are Computer related. Just my two cents ...

PS: As far as Chess goes the windows world still holds a slight edge in terms of Chess Software that I like to use.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by fern »

All my comps are W7 loaded and the one that it is not is a very old Compaq Armada with just 98 RAM, so I cannot test it. Even more, once I tried the Linux thing and I just did not know how to download, install and then execute a program. I was pissed off and I abandoned the experiment-.

My best
Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:All my comps are W7 loaded and the one that it is not is a very old Compaq Armada with just 98 RAM, so I cannot test it. Even more, once I tried the Linux thing and I just did not know how to download, install and then execute a program. I was pissed off and I abandoned the experiment-.

My best
Fern
Stick to Windows 7 Fern,it's like a beautiful naked lady offering you eveything directly....why bother to unlock chains and torture yourself :?: :wink:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

fern wrote:All my comps are W7 loaded and the one that it is not is a very old Compaq Armada with just 98 RAM, so I cannot test it. Even more, once I tried the Linux thing and I just did not know how to download, install and then execute a program. I was pissed off and I abandoned the experiment-.

My best
Fern
Most people who are newbies to Linux have that problem. For that Compaq of yours I would try to run a light version of Linux, however I think one would have to be even more a tech to use and install some of those. To bad we live far apart, because I would be more than happy to setup a Linux system for you.

Post by AdminX »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Stick to Windows 7 Fern,it's like a beautiful naked lady offering you eveything directly.... :wink:
Dr.D
Yes Doctor but at a price! :D For a price she gives you everything! :lol:

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Stick to Windows 7 Fern,it's like a beautiful naked lady offering you eveything directly.... :wink:
Dr.D
Yes Doctor but at a price! :D For a price she gives you everything! :lol:
Yep,you're absolutely right Ted....it will dig deep into your pocket to snatch the last penny found there....but then comes your turn to dig into,oooops,think I should stop here :oops:
Shameless regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

You are very kind. Anyway that old laptop is in a closet, I have no use for it. No USB, no Internet, nothing. But I am sure you could do miracles with it.
My best
Fern
fern

Post by fern »

Not in my case...being as I am some kind of "special" person in my country, I receive all Microsoft stuff for free.
So the lady come to me and do all that for free,

yum yjm
Fern