What would make an engine a better analysis tool... ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

as

What would make an engine a better analysis tool... ?

Post by as »

...when quality of the analysis is more important than the time used to produce it, even at the cost of placing lower in ranking lists at time controls?

i.e. persistent hash (and ability to save/manage it), less aggressive pruning, etc.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: What would make an engine a better analysis tool... ?

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Less aggressive pruning certainly not. If being more aggressive makes the engine stronger, it also makes the analysis better, because, for example, it gets deeper in a fixed amount of time. Remember that even when analyzing time is finite!

However, the following things, while not directly affecting gameplay, do affect analysis:

- Score and variation (in)stability (*cough* Stockfish 1.7 *cough*)
- Proper support of MultiPV, searchmoves, etc
- Correct and complete PVs
- Persistent hash
- Good propagation of analysis when going back and forth in the game
- Information about moves other than the best (multipv, hash exploration, ...)
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Gian-Carlo, how long has it been since the last update of your own engine, Deep Sjeng WC2008?

Does it have "Proper support of MultiPV, searchmoves, etc."?
Marek Soszynski
metax

Post by metax »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Less aggressive pruning certainly not. If being more aggressive makes the engine stronger, it also makes the analysis better, because, for example, it gets deeper in a fixed amount of time. Remember that even when analyzing time is finite!
Also, when analyzing there is often more time than in games. Hence, tactical weaknesses (caused by aggressive pruning) take a back seat (because there is enough time anyway) while a low EBF is very beneficial for searching deep.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

metax wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Less aggressive pruning certainly not. If being more aggressive makes the engine stronger, it also makes the analysis better, because, for example, it gets deeper in a fixed amount of time. Remember that even when analyzing time is finite!
Also, when analyzing there is often more time than in games. Hence, tactical weaknesses (caused by aggressive pruning) take a back seat (because there is enough time anyway) while a low EBF is very beneficial for searching deep.
I'm not sure a tactical trick missed at 25 ply is better than a tactical trick missed at 15 ply.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Marek Soszynski wrote:Gian-Carlo, how long has it been since the last update of your own engine, Deep Sjeng WC2008?
It was last updated in 2008.
Does it have "Proper support of MultiPV, searchmoves, etc."?
MultiPV yes. Searchmoves is in older versions but not in 3.0 and later, but will be back in 4.0 (thanks to Aquarium).
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Gian-Carlo, you mention Sjeng 4.0. When will that be released? Within a couple of months?
Marek Soszynski
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Marek Soszynski wrote:Gian-Carlo, you mention Sjeng 4.0. When will that be released? Within a couple of months?
I am also interested in this. I hope it comes with an opening book like Hiarcs & Shredder
as

Post by as »

So if one wanted to "stand in the shoulders of giants" by taking an open source engine to build a strong analysis tool (based on the above) ... which one would be the better pick?
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Werewolf wrote:
Marek Soszynski wrote:Gian-Carlo, you mention Sjeng 4.0. When will that be released? Within a couple of months?
I am also interested in this. I hope it comes with an opening book like Hiarcs & Shredder
I'm interested too.

An opening book would be cool, I guess, but not necessary. Clustering is cool enough :).

Peter