This is why I love Junior

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by alpha123 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 pm

kranium wrote: it said:
the 'Fire operator' has "trouble running the game on his hardware because of the heat"
I bet it doesn't help that the engine is called Fire..... :D

Great job. Second with no book and an unstable system is really amazing. Eagerly awaiting Fire 1.3....

Peter

kingliveson

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by kingliveson » Sun May 16, 2010 1:41 am

alpha123 wrote:
kranium wrote: it said:
the 'Fire operator' has "trouble running the game on his hardware because of the heat"
I bet it doesn't help that the engine is called Fire..... :D

Great job. Second with no book and an unstable system is really amazing. Eagerly awaiting Fire 1.3....

Peter

That quote made me laugh. You cant make these thing up, lol. But looking at the pgn file it looks though that Fire did use an opening book.

alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by alpha123 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:52 am

kingliveson wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
kranium wrote: it said:
the 'Fire operator' has "trouble running the game on his hardware because of the heat"
I bet it doesn't help that the engine is called Fire..... :D

Great job. Second with no book and an unstable system is really amazing. Eagerly awaiting Fire 1.3....

Peter

That quote made me laugh. You cant make these thing up, lol. But looking at the pgn file it looks though that Fire did use an opening book.
Oh. I didn't really check them out in any detail. Well at any rate, it wasn't a very good opening book.

Peter

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by Albert Silver » Sun May 16, 2010 2:11 am

Damir wrote:Junior did not have a chance, had it not been for Fire's hardware unstability. When your engine restarts something like 3-4 times in a row, due to too much overclock. You are doomed to lose the game...
Another issue is the book. I heared that Fire played with no book at all.
There was an article that said the Fire operator thought the water tasted funny too. The building was evacuated as a result of possible poisoning.

Plus there was a bit of controversy as the Junior operator made a suspicious number of visits to the bathroom carrying a tower he claimed was just an oversized pill box containing his medication.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by michiguel » Sun May 16, 2010 2:51 am

alpha123 wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
kranium wrote: it said:
the 'Fire operator' has "trouble running the game on his hardware because of the heat"
I bet it doesn't help that the engine is called Fire..... :D

Great job. Second with no book and an unstable system is really amazing. Eagerly awaiting Fire 1.3....

Peter

That quote made me laugh. You cant make these thing up, lol. But looking at the pgn file it looks though that Fire did use an opening book.
Oh. I didn't really check them out in any detail. Well at any rate, it wasn't a very good opening book.

Peter
Certainly better than SF's...

Miguel

alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by alpha123 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:00 am

michiguel wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Oh. I didn't really check them out in any detail. Well at any rate, it wasn't a very good opening book.

Peter
Certainly better than SF's...

Miguel
Ouch, how bad was Stockfish's book? Were they not using the standard .bin book that Salvio Spiterali or whatever his name is made?

Peter

kingliveson

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by kingliveson » Sun May 16, 2010 3:10 am

alpha123 wrote:
michiguel wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Oh. I didn't really check them out in any detail. Well at any rate, it wasn't a very good opening book.

Peter
Certainly better than SF's...

Miguel
Ouch, how bad was Stockfish's book? Were they not using the standard .bin book that Salvio Spiterali or whatever his name is made?

Peter
Miguel is probably referring to this game and move 11. g4 played by StockFish to be exact. Still up in the air...

[d]r2qk2r/1b1nbppp/pp1p1n2/4p3/P3P1P1/2N5/1PP1NPBP/R1BQ1RK1 b kq - 0 11

Code: Select all

[Event "Thueringen 2010"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2010.05.14"]
[Round "8"]
[White "Stockfish 1.7.1"]
[Black "Fire 1.3"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B91"]
[Annotator "Schmidt,N"]
[PlyCount "94"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. g3 e5 7. Nde2 Nbd7 8. a4
b6 9. Bg2 Bb7 10. O-O Be7 11. g4 Nxg4 12. Ng3 Ngf6 13. Nf5 O-O 14. Nxd6 Qc7 15.
Nf5 Rfe8 16. Nd5 Nxd5 17. exd5 Bf8 18. Re1 Rad8 19. b3 a5 20. c4 Nc5 21. Ng3
Bc8 22. Ne4 Nxe4 23. Bxe4 f5 24. Bb1 Bb4 25. Bd2 Bc5 26. Be3 e4 27. Kh1 Qe7 28.
Bxc5 bxc5 29. Re3 Qf6 30. Ra2 f4 31. Rxe4 f3 32. Bd3 Bh3 33. Rxe8+ Rxe8 34. Bf1
Qe5 35. Ra1 Bd7 36. d6 Re6 37. Rb1 Rxd6 38. Qe1 Qd4 39. Bh3 Bc6 40. Qg1 Be4 41.
Rc1 h6 42. Qe1 Kh8 43. Bg4 Qb2 44. Qg1 Rg6 45. Re1 Qe2 46. h3 h5 47. Rxe2 fxe2+
0-1  

beram
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by beram » Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 am

kranium wrote:
playjunior wrote:I am a big Junior fan but have an impression that Fire just badly misplayed the game, abandoning several fortress-like setups, maybe because it was actually better and tried to make progress. It overstepped at some point but this is not what a typical Junior victory looks like.
yes i think that's an accurate assessment...
one of the many ways to lose!
[D] 2r5/2r5/1q1p2pk/pP1B1p1p/2P2P1P/4p1P1/R1RbQ3/5K2 b - - 0 58 - in this position, Black is one pawn ahead but it is meaningless. Of all the engines I ve tested it is only Deep Junior who reckons this position as draw 0,00 all the others, Rybka, Naum, Stockfish, Shredder, Fritz think black is 0,4 - 1,0 better. When black would have played Qd4 or Kh7 instead of Ra7, Junior would have continued with Rxd2 !? where after a draw would be the result.

So I think this is a very nice example of its extraordinary evaluation.

Torstein

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by Torstein » Sun May 16, 2010 11:36 am

Normally there must be two to dance, eh play chess. Do you belive JUnior qould have achived the same position transformnation against another engine! :)
Robert Flesher wrote:When you look at this position, most would NEVER dream white could get connected passers!

[d]1q3r2/r3bpk1/p1Bp2pp/4p3/8/2P2Q1P/1P2RPP1/3R2K1 w - - 0 28





However, move 76 we have this position.

[d]1q6/1P4r1/r1Pp1Qpk/3B1p1p/5P1P/p2Rp1P1/3bK3/1R6 b - - 0 77





So let's see, Junior was a pawn down, and ended up with this position. Stunning!
I guess some do not see that transition as beautiful. Pity for them! I for one think the game was nothing short of masterful genius. Capiche?

benstoker
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

Re: This is why I love Junior

Post by benstoker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Robert Flesher wrote:Deep Junior is just 1/2 point behind Rybak in the Thüringen 2010 tournament. This is a beautiful game vs Fire 1.3. ...
That's a typo. BUT, "Rybak" is a perfect name for the next round of IvanHoe releases.

Post Reply