Quote for GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Quote for GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Post by AdminX »

Albert Silver wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:this has been done, many times over. FB/ippolit family is significantly stronger at bullet, less so at blitz, and marginally stronger at long TC.
Blitz and Bullet strength is most important for serious chess players. Nobody cares about long time controls.
complete nonsense
No, it is true. No serious chess player analyzes a position for more than 10 seconds.
You are kidding right? Or you speak of engine analysis only? Because I don't believe that statement to be true. :shock:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by kingliveson »

AdminX wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:this has been done, many times over. FB/ippolit family is significantly stronger at bullet, less so at blitz, and marginally stronger at long TC.
Blitz and Bullet strength is most important for serious chess players. Nobody cares about long time controls.
complete nonsense
No, it is true. No serious chess player analyzes a position for more than 10 seconds.
You are kidding right? Or you speak of engine analysis only? Because I don't believe that statement to be true. :shock:
He is being sarcastic. Unfortunately sarcasm is hard to detect on text sometimes.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

kingliveson wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
complete nonsense
He is being sarcastic. Unfortunately sarcasm is hard to detect on text sometimes.
Cool, That's more the Albert I know! :lol: :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Ex »

You have absolutely no idea. The professionals do interactive Analysis, therefore the engine usually does not calculate long. Certainly almost never 3 minutes or more for a particular position.
frcha

Post by frcha »

I would imagine chess gms probably "browse" through many games with engine analysis in background -- one simply does not have time to analyze every position for too long. Since FB/Ippo are much better at short time control -- Rybka 3 will be used at best for very long time analysis to see the alternative evaluation a few times. -- On the other hand - Isnt SF 1.7 a bit stronger at long tc or about the same ?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

AdminX wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Guenther wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
complete nonsense
Cool, That's more the Albert I know! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

frcha wrote:I would imagine chess gms probably "browse" through many games with engine analysis in background -- one simply does not have time to analyze every position for too long. Since FB/Ippo are much better at short time control -- Rybka 3 will be used at best for very long time analysis to see the alternative evaluation a few times. -- On the other hand - Isnt SF 1.7 a bit stronger at long tc or about the same ?

That is not how top GM's use an engine as an analysis tool. Most of their use of an engine is to test opening theory and probe possible new theoretical lines to surprise their opponent. For that, I am afraid a few seconds of analysis won't cut it.
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

Since when is Shabalov a top GM?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Ex wrote:Since when is Shabalov a top GM?
I know he has been rated over 2650, which is good enough for me. I think he is an extremely creative player, albeit not as consistent as one might hope.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Dr.Ex wrote:Since when is Shabalov a top GM?
Well, he won the US Championship 4 times.....

Certainly, he used to be a top GM. Now he's a bit old, but still quite good.

Peter