Is that our Mark Lefler?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: Is that our Mark Lefler?

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Jouni wrote:But why Anand use second class engine? There are 2 well known 200 ELO better one available.

Jouni
The quote didn't say which engines were used:

"People from Hiarcs got in touch, Harvey Williamson & Mark Uniacke, and Harvey had access to a very powerful computer and he let me have it for the whole match. So that helped, at least we could check some of the more critical areas with the really powerful machine for a couple of hours and that improved matters quite a bit."

In fact, Harvey specifically stated "all engines on my machine" at some point. I presume he has more than just Hiarcs installed.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Jouni wrote:But why Anand use second class engine? There are 2 well known 200 ELO better one available.

Jouni
The quote didn't say which engines were used:

"People from Hiarcs got in touch, Harvey Williamson & Mark Uniacke, and Harvey had access to a very powerful computer and he let me have it for the whole match. So that helped, at least we could check some of the more critical areas with the really powerful machine for a couple of hours and that improved matters quite a bit."

In fact, Harvey specifically stated "all engines on my machine" at some point. I presume he has more than just Hiarcs installed.
Yup latest unreleased Hiarcs + all the usual suspects... Rybka, Shredder, Junior, Fritz, Sjeng, StockFish etc....
Milos

Post by Milos »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Yup latest unreleased Hiarcs + all the usual suspects... Rybka, Shredder, Junior, Fritz, Sjeng, StockFish etc....
I wonder, did you make him sign an NDA that he'll not use any Ippo derivatives??? ;)
Don

Post by Don »

Jouni
I think it matters what the playing style of an engine is for serious analysis. I think it needs to be strong and stronger is better, but it's not everything. So it could be that style is important. Or it could also be that with Mark on the team the program can be changed at will.

Also, when it's used for analysis it's just another advisor. I don't know why Mark is on the team, but how do you know which program he is using? He might not be using now, but stockfish or Rybka or some other strong program, perhaps one of the clones even.
vvarkey

Post by vvarkey »

what's all this about rybka4 release being delayed so topalov had exclusive use of it??
"...Once we found out that he had some super computer, some cluster version of Rybka, something that can scale very well, it was obvious to us why Rybka 4 was being held back."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

vvarkey wrote:what's all this about rybka4 release being delayed so topalov had exclusive use of it??
"...Once we found out that he had some super computer, some cluster version of Rybka, something that can scale very well, it was obvious to us why Rybka 4 was being held back."
Aha....something like that....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….