Rybka 4 released!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Rybka 4 released!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

SzG wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Yep,at least an optimized opening book with the God damn UCI version....
Dr.D
Yeah that should have been included for free.
Maybe it's the new trend but the new HIARCS has also been released without an opening book and if you want to use their book you have to subscribe to it. One year subscription is another 30 € (24 for existing customers).
Hiarcs comes with a huge free opening book.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Albert Silver wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:chessok was selling for $10 under that.
Thanks John. I bit the bullet and purchased the Deep version from chessok.

There is absolutely no documentation with the download, not even a readme file. Anyone have inside info on whether some kind of documentation is planned later?

With all these new options, in my opinion, users paying this high price deserve "something" more than just the engine. :x

"Bit the bullet"
That describes very well what customers have to do.
I would have hoped that Vas (and others) would want to be making customers happy.
It's like charging a very high price for bread. Everyone will buy it, and everyone will say thank you, but some will have to go without, or have much less.

I might biite the bullet one day, but at the momment, i intend to just wait around and follow what is going on.
I would much prefer to have closer to what i want, and for a lower price, and to buy it right now.
Agreed. I also just read that the Alaotra Grebe, a small diving bird native to Madagascar has been officially classified extinct. If Vas had any consideration for his customers, he would not have let that happened. An outrage.
Thanks Tokugawa Leyasu! that is very nice of you!

Alaotra Grebe
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

S.Taylor wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:

There is absolutely no documentation with the download, not even a readme file. Anyone have inside info on whether some kind of documentation is planned later?

With all these new options, in my opinion, users paying this high price deserve "something" more than just the engine. :x

"Bit the bullet"
I would have hoped that Vas (and others) would want to be making customers happy.
It's like charging a very high price for bread. Everyone will buy it, and everyone will say thank you, but some will have to go without, or have much less.

I might biite the bullet one day, but at the momment, i intend to just wait around and follow what is going on.
I would much prefer to have closer to what i want, and for a lower price, and to buy it right now.
Agreed. I also just read that the Alaotra Grebe, a small diving bird native to Madagascar has been officially classified extinct. If Vas had any consideration for his customers, he would not have let that happened. An outrage.

Alaotra Grebe
The point was that Vas designs the engine and has nothing to do with the documentation of the ChessOk GUI. So if he is to be blamed for that, then I see no reason to stop there.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

harvey, will a separate browsable book be available for download in .ctg or some such format?
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

yanquis1972 wrote:harvey, will a separate browsable book be available for download in .ctg or some such format?

http://www.hiarcs.com/chess-opening-book.htm
govert

Post by govert »

Albert Silver wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:

"Bit the bullet"

Alaotra Grebe
The point was that Vas designs the engine and has nothing to do with the documentation of the ChessOk GUI. So if he is to be blamed for that, then I see no reason to stop there.
If I'm not entirely mistaken, David was talking about engine documentation
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

govert wrote: If I'm not entirely mistaken, David was talking about engine documentation

Hello Martin,

Of course you are not mistaken but Albert seems to be a wee bit prickly.

I hope that he (Albert) can offer some useful insights into what the various options are about as one of the engine's beta testers.

Later.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

SzG wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
SzG wrote: Maybe it's the new trend but the new HIARCS has also been released without an opening book and if you want to use their book you have to subscribe to it. One year subscription is another 30 € (24 for existing customers).
This is incorrect. Hiarcs 13.1 (for PC) does indeed come with a huge internal opening book.

The subscription service is only if you want to have access to updates to the opening book and/or ctg versions of the opening book.[/b][/u]
Apologies for the false information. I do have a separate ctg book for HIARCS 12, can't remember where it is from. Now that is huge (66 MB).

Still confused.
What GUI are you using? When I use Hiarcs 13.1 in the Shredder GUI, it shows me in engine options that the Hiarcs internal book is loaded and then Hiarcs will make it's opening moves from that book.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

govert wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:The point was that Vas designs the engine and has nothing to do with the documentation of the ChessOk GUI. So if he is to be blamed for that, then I see no reason to stop there.
If I'm not entirely mistaken, David was talking about engine documentation
If so, then I misunderstood, though I'm sure it will be forthcoming soon. I'd check the Rybka forums ATM.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
govert

Post by govert »

Roger Brown wrote:
govert wrote: If I'm not entirely mistaken, David was talking about engine documentation

Hello Martin,

Of course you are not mistaken but Albert seems to be a wee bit prickly.

I hope that he (Albert) can offer some useful insights into what the various options are about as one of the engine's beta testers.

Later.
Hi Roger.
Prickly indeed :wink:

I believe your insights would be very welcome, Albert!