Tournament manager for winboard?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

govert

Tournament manager for winboard?

Post by govert »

Anyone has any tips of a good tournament manager for winboard? (on windows)
There's a tourney manager that comes with the winboard gold package, but it's a little bit too rudimentary for my taste.
2 things that it is lacking is:

* Ability to add another participant late in the tournament.
* Use the same book line twice - (switching colors in between)

Any tips?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Tournament manager for winboard?

Post by hgm »

The second point seems hard to fix in the TM, as this is really a WinBoard limitation. WinBoard supports a match mode where it plays every line in a PGN file of opening lines twice (by setting /lgi=-2), but it does not have a similar option when the lines do not come from a game file, but from the GUI book.

How would adding a participant late in the tounament (a round-robin, say) work? Is that possible at all? I would think it completely messes up the schedule, both of rounds that are alread played, and rounds that are yet to come. If there was an odd number of participants before, you can of course substitute the new arrival for the bye, but of course usually you play with an even number to begin with, so this is of little help. What I usually do is wait until the tourney completes, and then play a gauntlet against all other participants with the engine I want to add.
govert

Post by govert »

hgm wrote:The second point seems hard to fix in the TM, as this is really a WinBoard limitation. WinBoard supports a match mode where it plays every line in a PGN file of opening lines twice (by setting /lgi=-2), but it does not have a similar option when the lines do not come from a game file, but from the GUI book.
I had a feeling that that was the problem.
How would adding a participant late in the tounament (a round-robin, say) work? Is that possible at all? I would think it completely messes up the schedule, both of rounds that are alread played, and rounds that are yet to come. If there was an odd number of participants before, you can of course substitute the new arrival for the bye, but of course usually you play with an even number to begin with, so this is of little help. What I usually do is wait until the tourney completes, and then play a gauntlet against all other participants with the engine I want to add.
A good point.

It would be nice if you could load/save tournament settings in your TM. Then it would be much easier making sure the the gautlet uses the same settings as the previous tournament. Maybe there already is such an option?
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Your can take a look at FSTM at http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/fstm
It can use the same opening line twice, but I have not tested enought about introducing a late opponnet.
regards,
Fermin
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
hgm

Post by hgm »

govert wrote:It would be nice if you could load/save tournament settings in your TM. Then it would be much easier making sure the the gautlet uses the same settings as the previous tournament. Maybe there already is such an option?
Except for the participants, I think this is automatic in PSWBTM. At least when I start a new tournament, the dialog always pops up with all fields set to the values I used last time. Only the list of participants and the gauntlet engine gets cleared.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

govert wrote:
It would be nice if you could load/save tournament settings in your TM. Then it would be much easier making sure the the gautlet uses the same settings as the previous tournament. Maybe there already is such an option?
In FSTM this is automatic, you can copy a tournament and the make small changes to it if you want, like change and oponent or change time settings.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
govert

Post by govert »

hgm wrote:
govert wrote:It would be nice if you could load/save tournament settings in your TM. Then it would be much easier making sure the the gautlet uses the same settings as the previous tournament. Maybe there already is such an option?
Except for the participants, I think this is automatic in PSWBTM. At least when I start a new tournament, the dialog always pops up with all fields set to the values I used last time. Only the list of participants and the gauntlet engine gets cleared.
True.
govert

Post by govert »

Kempelen wrote:Your can take a look at FSTM at http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/fstm
It can use the same opening line twice, but I have not tested enought about introducing a late opponnet.
regards,
Fermin
I'm testing it now.
How exactly do you configure it to use the same opening line twice?
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

govert wrote:
Kempelen wrote:Your can take a look at FSTM at http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/fstm
regards,
Fermin
I'm testing it now.
How exactly do you configure it to use the same opening line twice?
When you are setting a new tournament there is a section called "Initial position" where you can select to start from original default position or any other position from an EPD file. You must click in "Two games" to repeat the position twice (i.e. first with white and then with black).

Regards
Fermin
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
hgm

Post by hgm »

Yeah, you can do that in PSWBTM too. Either select to start from a position or a game file, and then do one or two games per position/opening line, and rewind after a given number of lines.

But I don't think that was the question. What Martin wants would really require some support from WinBoard. Like a match where each even game would start from the point where you first left the GUI book, rather than from the initial position. Perhaps when giving /lgi=-2 without having given a game file. a TM could then call WinBoard for matches of 2 games, in stead of 1 game.