"Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 34518
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:So the site sponsor does not want any engines "promoted" in CCC that Graham hates, right ?

If that persists, my days as CCC member are counted.

Matthias.
Matthias - the decision has nothing to do with me.
However, you're right in that I agree with it.
I'm not sure why people try to make this personal all the time. :(

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 34518
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I understood the situation exactly as you describe Albert....Graham most probably has nothing to do with this....
Dr.D
Thank you Wael. You are correct.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Nimzovik
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:08 pm

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Nimzovik » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 pm

G-r-o-a-n :!: :roll: Yet another clone discussion! Will you guys get a room? Try the chess engine origins Hotel :!: :lol:

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:So the site sponsor does not want any engines "promoted" in CCC that Graham hates, right ?

If that persists, my days as CCC member are counted.

Matthias.
Matthias - the decision has nothing to do with me.
However, you're right in that I agree with it.
I'm not sure why people try to make this personal all the time. :(

Cheers,
Graham.
If the decision to completely hide the Ippo family in a "hidden" sub-forum was not taken as a result of a proposal/request from you, then I sincerely apologize for drawing that conclusion.

It is the use of your prefered word "promote" in that announcement that immediately excluded the involvement of the other 2 mods, leaving only you (, I thought).

Anyway, if the decision to completely hide the Ippo family stands, I will soon quit.

I hope someone will reveal who triggered the decision.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

Nimzovik
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:08 pm

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Nimzovik » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:22 pm

I thought a big part of the decison was to reduce the clutter from the General Topics Forum. Just like they did when they created the Engine Tournaments room :?:

Milos
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Milos » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 pm

Nimzovik wrote:I thought a big part of the decison was to reduce the clutter from the General Topics Forum.
Wrong word. The correct one is excuse.
The reason is something else as explained by Matthias.

mwyoung
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by mwyoung » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 pm

No action has ever been taken against any program on this forum, So people need to get a life, they have no standing in the issue. No matter what their roll here is on TalkChess. They are not the Judge, and Jury in the matter. If someone has been wronged, the person with standing needs to take action. Not Talk Chess Moderators. Anything else is pure censorship. It is sad that one moderator can conduct him shelf as judge and jury when he has no standing in the matter.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 34518
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 pm

mwyoung wrote:It is sad that one moderator can conduct him shelf as judge and jury when he has no standing in the matter.
All I have done is act on the directive handed down to the moderators, so there is no need to try and pin the whole thing on me.
Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Gino Figlio
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:10 am
Location: Lamar, Colorado, USA

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Gino Figlio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 pm

I disagree with this decision because in my view the problem is not the engines themselves but the potential actions of people that created them.

Think about what would happen if the courts ruled the engines were clones, would we have to erase them from our memories instantly or perhaps simply acknowledge their real origin? Would discussion then be more ethical and legal than now?

Discussing engines from the chess perspective does not mean validation of their origin unless of course the promoters are also the cloners.

mwyoung
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by mwyoung » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 am

Then read what you just posted to me and ask if you can still be apart of TalkChess.com. If the answer if yes you can live with your DIRECTIVE. Then what you just posted to me is PURE Bull Sh**.

Post Reply