Is ChrisW Right??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Is ChrisW Right??

Post by Sean Evans »

I noticed this post by ChrisW at the open-chess.org forum. I think ChrisW has made some good points. I think that enough people in the POLL I started have stated they want CCC on another server. So let's start a thread to discuss potential independent servers we could use!
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96

CCC now firmly controlled by the ICD-shop

New postby Chris Whittington » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 am

If any more proof were needed that the shop (ICD) now controls the CCC forum, here it is. The voting structure and changes to the voting structure are absolutely vested in the ownership of the MEMBERS of the CCC. This was how we, as founders, created it and this is how it has always been. To chnage the voting structure requires MEMBERS decisions (not moderators, not tcadmins and certainly not shops)

But tcadmin and shop representative Sam Hull (tcadmin) now says:

Sam Hull

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:18 pm Post subject: July moderator elections - new format

I have gotten approval from our sponsor to run the next election on a team basis. Here's the plan: any three members can get together and run as a team. No member can run as part of more than one team, including a team on the other side of the board. Each team will designate one member as its spokesman or primary contact. That individual will post the team's combined moderation philosophy in the candidate thread, one post per team.

Approval from the sponsor?????!!!!!

Bye-bye members democracy and members ownership. You've been led by donkeys who gave it away to commercial interests.
Cordially,

Sean :)
Steve B

Re: Is ChrisW Right??

Post by Steve B »

Members have been calling for Team Mod candidates for years now
i doubt the Sponsor gives a hoot either way
with the recent turn of events.....one mod not working with the other two ..i suggested we switch to a team approach for this next election
AFAIK this is currently being discussed by the members and certainly not happening as any sort of directive from the sponsor

Anyway..it seems funny to me..that they are now calling for a change of the sponsor here on the new forum
if that happened ..i guess everyone who just left..would all flock back to the CCC and where would that leave the new forum
:P
they are actually discussing their own demise regards
Steve
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Steve B wrote:AFAIK this is currently being discussed by the members and certainly not happening as any sort of directive from the sponsor
AFAIK its decided by Sam Hull
Sam Hull wrote:I have gotten approval from our sponsor to run the next election on a team basis.
Steve B wrote:they are actually discussing their own demise regards
Steve
They don't want an own forum because they like to have some power, they want a CCC like forum without censorship. If the CCC goes back to independence the new forum is not needed.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Steve B wrote:AFAIK this is currently being discussed by the members and certainly not happening as any sort of directive from the sponsor
Sam Hull wrote:I have gotten approval from our sponsor to run the next election on a team basis.
Steve
They don't want an own forum because they like to have some power, they want a CCC like forum without censorship. If the CCC goes back to independence the new forum is not needed.
AFAIK the entire censorship i keep hearing about is that Unregistered Lurkers cannot read all of the forums here
and in the new forum Unregistered Lurkers can read all of the forums
once someone registers on your new forum both forums are the same
an entire new forum has been created for the reading pleasure of Unregistered Lurkers
that OK with me

Steve
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Steve B wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Steve
AFAIK the entire censorship i keep hearing about is that Unregistered Lurkers cannot read all of the forums here
an entire new forum has been created for the reading pleasure of Unregistered Lurkers
that OK with me

Steve
Personally, I fail to see the difference from CTF, which has *always* been invisible to non-members.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Steve B wrote:AFAIK the entire censorship i keep hearing about is that Unregistered Lurkers cannot read all of the forums here
For me, it's 2+ things: the first is the influence of the sponsor on forum content/moderation policy, as you've mentioned and as I've described in previous posts.

The second is the culture of exclusivity which has developed here, where a small minority of self-appointed gatekeepers think they are in a position to dictate to you what you can and can't read or who is a "legitimate member", a "true hobbyist" and similar.

These same "chess policemen", given moderator powers, spend their free time checking up on your IP address, calling your office to figure out whether you're really an african from Zambia, and similar. If you're cool with this sort of activity, no biggie. I'm not ok with it, nor with an administrative policy which tolerates it.

Jeremy
http://www.open-chess.org : Independent Computer Chess Discussion Forum
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sockmonkey wrote:
Steve B wrote:AFAIK the entire censorship i keep hearing about is that Unregistered Lurkers cannot read all of the forums here
For me, it's 2+ things: the first is the influence of the sponsor on forum content/moderation policy, as you've mentioned and as I've described in previous posts.

The second is the culture of exclusivity which has developed here, where a small minority of self-appointed gatekeepers think they are in a position to dictate to you what you can and can't read or who is a "legitimate member", a "true hobbyist" and similar.

These same "chess policemen", given moderator powers, spend their free time checking up on your IP address, calling your office to figure out whether you're really an african from Zambia, and similar. If you're cool with this sort of activity, no biggie. I'm not ok with it, nor with an administrative policy which tolerates it.

Jeremy
no body was "given" moderator powers here
all mods were voted in by the members
unlike your new forum where the current mods are appointed
the things you are now mentioning probably happened in the CTF and not in the CCC
members can vote mods in or out
i dont defend actions like that and i would not vote for mods who engage in that sort of activity
the only censorship you can point to is that unregistered lurkers cannot read all forums
thats what it comes down to at the end of the day
Steve
daws

Post by daws »

Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Steve
that OK with me

Steve
Personally, I fail to see the difference from CTF, which has *always* been invisible to non-members.
You're wrong, CTF hasn't always been invisible to non-members.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

daws wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Steve
that OK with me

Steve
You're wrong, CTF hasn't always been invisible to non-members.
When was it visible?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

You mean like moderators calling members "knee-jerkers" ? Maybe you should show the members here how you were talking about them in the moderator forum.

You are not trustable, sorry.

Your forum has already mutatd to a TC forum clone.

By the way your forum doesn't belong to you according to TC (who by the way is using an avatar with copyrighted material on your forum where you don't even care, not that I wonder):

"we always fought that the owner of the site has no influence on the content of the forums."

Do those guys think before posting ? I ask before it doesn't look like they would.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com