Sharpie chess engine was a joke....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Sharpie chess engine was a joke....

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

S.Taylor wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:Is "sharpie" the name of a new engine which is being planned?
It appears to have been a hoax.
Yes, indeed, that's very funny. 10/10 for ingenuity (or is it 0/10 because there could not have been anyone who didn't think of it before).

However my mind is still on

oh no!!!!!!!

he said, sharpie 2 will rise up from the ashes, whereas it was sharpie one that went INTO ashes? So is this like Rybka 4 went i nto ashes, nd that's why it's so bad, but it will rise up from the ashes into Rybka 5?
I have a pretty damn idea who could be behind this dummy joke....a tip:someone who was embarresed lately by the Rybka team....
Make your own conclusions regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
djbl

Post by djbl »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:Is "sharpie" the name of a new engine which is being planned?
If you know it's going to completely outplay Rybka and all similar things, and then you go and call it sharpie, which means, "a little bit sharp", then that's a very funny name. (like an understatement).
A "Sharpie" is a long, narrow, flatbottom fishing boat.

The English have a strange sense of humour. Of course there is always later on today for more jokes.

:)

Chris
yeah real strange, like financially supporting scotland all these years just so they can waste benefit money on special brew and deep fried mars bars (ahaha). and anyway, the scots world cup qualifying (or lack of) is always good for a laugh i find. but the funnyiest of all was euro 96 and that scottish (missed) penalty that went straight back down to their end and gazzas amazing goal. stick to watching braveheart i say, always good for a bit of make believe eh.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Some people have it real bad.
Indeed Graham,indeed....
Many meaning for Sharpie.
Card cheater,Scammer,zealously person,peacher.etc.

Best,
Gerold.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:BTW,seconds before I post this the thread was deleted from the Rybka forum....
It was just moved.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=17720

We allow and even enforce such threads for April Fools, so it's bad timing...
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Let's call this what it really was. It was on out and out lie by a person with no value or of any use to the chess community at large.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

karger wrote:Let's call this what it really was. It was on out and out lie by a person with no value or of any use to the chess community at large.
Well said....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….