Need Help with ChessGUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jimbo I

Need Help with ChessGUI

Post by Jimbo I »

Hi Matthias and others,

I'm having major problems with ChessGUI 0.183 on my Windows 2000/Pentium IV machine. Sometimes it will run OK, but it won't be long until some problem hits. Engine lists disappear, starting tournaments fail with "Threw exception" messages. The latest is that after installing Fruit 2.3.1, it will run, but only at 0 to 3 percent cpu capacity (no more than 6-7 ply). Other engines seemed to install/run OK (except the engine list might disappear at any time).

I transferred the files over to a newer Windows 7 PC, changed the necessary file paths for engines, TBs, etc, and Fruit ran perfectly.

So before I invest any more time into beating my head against a wall with my older PC, may I ask one question? Is it possible that ChessGUI isn't compatible with Win2000/PentiumIV? Maybe it requires .NET Framework or something?
Matthias Gemuh

Re: Need Help with ChessGUI

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Jimbo I wrote:Hi Matthias and others,

I'm having major problems with ChessGUI 0.183 on my Windows 2000/Pentium IV machine. Sometimes it will run OK, but it won't be long until some problem hits. Engine lists disappear, starting tournaments fail with "Threw exception" messages. The latest is that after installing Fruit 2.3.1, it will run, but only at 0 to 3 percent cpu capacity (no more than 6-7 ply). Other engines seemed to install/run OK (except the engine list might disappear at any time).

I transferred the files over to a newer Windows 7 PC, changed the necessary file paths for engines, TBs, etc, and Fruit ran perfectly.

So before I invest any more time into beating my head against a wall with my older PC, may I ask one question? Is it possible that ChessGUI isn't compatible with Win2000/PentiumIV? Maybe it requires .NET Framework or something?
Wow ! So many problem ? :evil: :?: :twisted:
Something sounds totally broken. How much free RAM and hard disk space do you have ? ChessGUI does not need dotNet.
There is no known incompatibility with Win2000/PentiumIV.
I can only recommend a fresh re-installation.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

hi matthias !

i dont have any problems now and i am be happy with your GUI :))

and the special tournament type swiss system that other GUI dont have is really great !!! that is what i am searching for long time !

i use your GUI now mostly !!
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Engin wrote:hi matthias !

i dont have any problems now and i am be happy with your GUI :))

and the special tournament type swiss system that other GUI dont have is really great !!! that is what i am searching for long time !

i use your GUI now mostly !!
Wow ! Engin ! :D

But I found a small bug. Swiss tournament in Chess960 mode is broken.
I will fix it and add an option to allow double-round Swiss, which means engine will play both colours against each opponent.

Infinite Swiss is great if you have many engines.
My infinite Swiss tournament has 1600 engines. Very addictive.

Cheers,
Matthias.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Engin wrote:i use your GUI now mostly !!
Welcome to the club! :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Matthias Gemuh wrote: Wow ! So many problem ? :evil: :?: :twisted:
Something sounds totally broken. How much free RAM and hard disk space do you have ? ChessGUI does not need dotNet.

Matthias.
I do have limited RAM and HD space, and I have to watch these numbers. I have about 15GB free HD space. Total available RAM is about 450 MB (640 MB less video stealing). But I limit hash for each engine to 64 MB (not including smaller caches, etc). I do use tablebases or bitbases, but I keep the TB cache fairly small (16 MB). And I don't run many other applications while the tournaments run.

I just ran a Gromit - Fruit tournament again as a test. (I reinstalled Fruit for good measure.) Gromit works fine, uses all of cpu (ponder off). Fruit still shows 0 percent cpu (6-7 ply max). Only about 60 percent of available RAM is being used, so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

It's good to know it should work in Win2000. I'll try a fresh reinstall and go from there. Thanks for the reply.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
Engin wrote:i use your GUI now mostly !!
Welcome to the club! :)
Hi Graham,

although I disagree strongly with you on issues of moderation, I consider it particularly positive of you to not reject ChessGUI now. :)

Cheers,
Matthias.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Jimbo I wrote:

Matthias.
I do have limited RAM and HD space, and I have to watch these numbers. I have about 15GB free HD space. Total available RAM is about 450 MB (640 MB less video stealing). But I limit hash for each engine to 64 MB (not including smaller caches, etc). I do use tablebases or bitbases, but I keep the TB cache fairly small (16 MB). And I don't run many other applications while the tournaments run.

I just ran a Gromit - Fruit tournament again as a test. (I reinstalled Fruit for good measure.) Gromit works fine, uses all of cpu (ponder off). Fruit still shows 0 percent cpu (6-7 ply max). Only about 60 percent of available RAM is being used, so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

It's good to know it should work in Win2000. I'll try a fresh reinstall and go from there. Thanks for the reply.
RAM and disk space sound OK.
CPU usage is zero when still in book, of course.

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:Hi Graham,

although I disagree strongly with you on issues of moderation, I consider it particularly positive of you to not reject ChessGUI now. :)

Cheers,
Matthias.
I tend not to get too bitter and twisted about these things Matthias. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Jimbo I wrote:

Matthias.

RAM and disk space sound OK.
CPU usage is zero when still in book, of course.

Of course, but the 0 cpu and 6-7 ply for Fruit is during out-of-book calculations (during entire game). (By the way, Gromit kicks Fruit's butt every game. I don't think that's supposed to happen. :) )

I also installed a couple of Tornado UCI2 engines and one of the Crafty versions, and they also work just fine.