time to fish or cut bait?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

benstoker

Re: time to fish or cut bait?

Post by benstoker »

bob wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:There is no single evidence that Rybka 1 contains *search* code that has been taken from another engine. Quite the contrary, it is well-known that Rybka has a very unique search implementation. Zach "evidence" pages refer to evaluation only (which does not mean for me that the "eval" case is already clarified). So please stop trying to be suggestive of Rybka 1 containing search code from Fruit.
There absolutely is evidence, I only ever completed the pages on evaluation. And no, Rybka does not have a very unique search implementation.
Then show your proof. As long as it is on your hard disk only nobody else can see it.

You will have a hard time proving it, though.

Sven
And apparently for others, 'proof' is irrelevant -- instead, it's just a 'moral decision'.

That is true. For _some_, no amount of "proof" will be enough.
FrancoisK

Re: Absolutly right!

Post by FrancoisK »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Graham,

do you have problems with Bison 9.11 x64 under Shredder Classic GUI?

GullChess ... yes I donwload the engine.

I don't add the engine because to many updates so far. So I wait a little bit with testing :-)

Furthermore, don't have any information about GullChess, no readme file.

SWCR rules:
No programs with unclear origin!!

Best
Frank

BugChess 1.6.4 is interesting but I have problems with Shredder GUI and WB2uci adapter too. Try it out yesterday.
Hi,

Just found your post. Most of the time, if you have trouble with BugChess2, it is because the '-winboard' argument is missing. I do not know the Shredder GUI and I am not familiar with WB2uci, but i guess there must be some way of specifying a command line argument for the engine.

Thanks anyway for trying my engine, i would be glad to help if it still does not work :)

François
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Absolutly right!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Francois,

aah, this could be the reason.
The old -winboard parameter :-)
No thinking on it.

BugChessII 1.6.4 will be run in the next x64 tourney I start in SWCR. Thanks for your hint.

Best
Frank
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: time to fish or cut bait?

Post by Michael Sherwin »

bob wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:Please be clear. Are you making any GPL violation claims against either engine? Ideas used from Fruit are not a violation unless code is taken outside of the GPL. I am sure the team of people that worked on Fruit 2.1 are proud to have impacted other engines in a positive way.
I am saying, unequivocally, that code from fruit was copied and used in Rybka 1. Whether or not this code remains in current versions is unknown, but highly probable. ip* is unknown. I have not personally compared it to fruit, but that might be an interesting comparison. Although I am not sure it would be convincing since if you copy from the original, or a copy of the original, you could end up with the same thing and it would be pretty tough to decide whether the thing is a copy of the original or the copy.
Just some logic:

BB's report states that most of the similarities between Ip* and R3 can also be found in various open source engines, but mostly in Fruit/Strelka. That indicates that there is still a lot of Fruit in R3.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through