Biased moderators

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Biased moderators

Post by Dann Corbit »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
Btw, the current moderators are doing a good job under very difficult times in my opinion.
We should also remember that we are all biased, as much as we would like to think otherwise. Hence, a good goal for selecting a moderator crew would be to find a crew that shares the same biases as we do.

The only problem there is that it is hard to find a good intersection or union that has the right items in the set. Maybe alpha beta could be applied to this problem also.
Suji

Post by Suji »

Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
Btw, the current moderators are doing a good job under very difficult times in my opinion.
Sorry, but I feel I have to throw my two cents worth out there.

I do not feel Dr. Hyatt is in any way shape or form biased. I PMed him about the Rybka and Fruit issue before the Ipp*** issue, and he was very, very polite.

I honestly think that Dr. Hyatt becomes frustrated when people don't look at ALL the facts before jumping to a conclusion.

You say that the recent programs are clones, but do not offer ANY evidence whatsoever. In fact, there is a report that details the similarities and differences between Rybka 3 and IPP***. Go read, and then and only then make an informed decision.

Sure the programs have similarities to Rybka. The closer two programs are in strength, the more similarities they are going to have. I'm willing to bet that Stockfish 1.7.1 is similar to Rybka 3 since they're so close. Does that mean that Stockfish is a clone? Heavens no. It just means that they're both really good chess engines.

If Dr. Hyatt runs for mod, I'm voting for him. He, Steve, and Dann did an awesome job even if it did get hectic the last couple months.

The current mods are doing their best, given the circumstances. I don't blame Jeremy for doing what he did, and I don't blame Graham, either. I think that the beliefs people have run deep, and I know Graham was trying to make CCC a better environment even if I don't agree with everything he did. Ditto for Jeremy and Swami.

Anyway back to my main point. I've asked a few questions in the programming forum and Dr. Hyatt was very considerate in his reply, never rude. And he's NOT oblivious. That I'm certain of.[/quote]
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Suji wrote:The current mods are doing their best, given the circumstances. I don't blame Jeremy for doing what he did, and I don't blame Graham, either. I think that the beliefs people have run deep, and I know Graham was trying to make CCC a better environment even if I don't agree with everything he did. Ditto for Jeremy and Swami.
Thanks Adam. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D why not?

If Dr. Hyatt runs for mod, I'm voting for him. He, Steve, and Dann did an awesome job even if it did get hectic the last couple months.

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

Adam, ok. I did not say they _were_ clones, I said _suspect_.
Glad to hear Bob Hyatt has been civil with you, I like that.
Wayne
bob

Post by bob »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Adam, ok. I did not say they _were_ clones, I said _suspect_.
Glad to hear Bob Hyatt has been civil with you, I like that.
Wayne
I am civil with most _anybody_ that shows the same level of respect back...
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

OK Bob I will accept that.
Wayne
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:
michiguel wrote: Steve declined already.

Miguel
Thats news to me
see..it always pays to check the forum first thing in the morning
i mean where else would i find out i already declined to run
something tells me this was a "feeler' post
:P
how about you Miguel?

Shaving Regards
Steve
Probably from here:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34866

Cheers,
Graham.
Ahh..
just some horse play between Fern and myself joking on the board
actually i think Fern would make a great mod during this tumultous times
Hmmm Regards
Steve

Agreed !
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
This is a personal attack. I have been a member in this forum for a long time now too and I think Mr. Hyatt has always been a good member but as always in any community, there will always be misunderstandings. But your statement is point blank an insult.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:Hi Wayne,

Every time there's some sort of controversy, you always pop up to throw in an insult against Bob
Just like Bernhard Bauer and one or two others do to me, but that never seems to bother you. :wink:
By the way, where is Wayne's insult?
How in the world can't you realize that this is an insult? Mr. Hyatt has always been generous all through out these years and a good member in this forum for as long as I remember. I myself had been a member of this forum probably much longer than most members here.