Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Post by swami »

Announced on Open-Chess.org by Chris Formula

http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=406

It definitely is slightly stronger than Stockfish 1.8.

Logo by Dave:

http://sites.google.com/site/strategict ... st-results

1000 Positions
10 seconds per position
Hardware: Q6600, 32 bits, 2 GB RAM, 2.4 GHZ. Arena 2.01 GUI.
zamar

Re: Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Post by zamar »

And here is the actual change :)

Code: Select all

// Null move dynamic reduction based on depth
-        int R = 3 + (depth >= 5 * OnePly ? depth / 8 : 0);
+        int R = 3 + (depth >= 9 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 15 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 21 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 27 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 33 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 39 ? 1 : 0);

With more aggressive null move pruning you gain some speed which translates to increased performance in test suites.

However risk of tactical oversights grows which may hurt in actual games.

Still, I feel it's worth a try
Joona Kiiski
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

zamar wrote:And here is the actual change :)
you may also want to rewrite in this way to better spot the difference:

+        int R = 3 + (depth >  4 * OnePly ? (depth - 3) / 6 : 0);

Nothing earth shattering, just a small tweak to null reduction formula in particular a bit more aggressive now. I expect very small ELO difference (in either direction) if any.

A pity people finds easier to get a nice name then testing his pacthes :-(
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

mcostalba wrote:

Nothing earth shattering, just a small tweak to null reduction formula in particular a bit more aggressive now. I expect very small ELO difference (in either direction) if any.

I will soon be releasing GargleBlaster 1.01, an improved version of Stockfish. Though there are no code changes of any kind, I did some major work on the name, achieving a new level of tweakdom. I still have some fine-tuning to do, but stay on the lookout for further announcements.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Albert Silver wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

I will soon be releasing GargleBlaster 1.01, an improved version of Stockfish. Though there are no code changes of any kind, I did some major work on the name, achieving a new level of tweakdom. I still have some fine-tuning to do, but stay on the lookout for further announcements.
Some questions:

1)How many hours did you work on the name?
2)Can we expect the new name to convince better programmers to work on the code?

If the reply to 2 is yes then
I admit that your new name is an improvement.
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D kinda OT:

Tinapa is the Filipino name of smoked "galunggong" fish.
it's very delicious. :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Uri Blass wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:I will soon be releasing GargleBlaster 1.01, an improved version of Stockfish. Though there are no code changes of any kind, I did some major work on the name, achieving a new level of tweakdom. I still have some fine-tuning to do, but stay on the lookout for further announcements.
Some questions:

One cannot measure these things properly in hours. Creativity and imagination can manifest themselves in a fraction of a second, which may be the only thing we are aware of, while the subconscious has been working on it for days, weeks, or more, without our noticing.
2)Can we expect the new name to convince better programmers to work on the code?

Expectations are dangerous, especially when based on factors over which one has no control. If the better programmers are tickled by the name, or inspired by the reference to a classic work of comic sci-fi, then yes, possibly. Note that this is not the first reference to the aforementioned work. Hsu and co. did it first.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:I will soon be releasing GargleBlaster 1.01, an improved version of Stockfish. Though there are no code changes of any kind, I did some major work on the name, achieving a new level of tweakdom. I still have some fine-tuning to do, but stay on the lookout for further announcements.
Some questions:

One cannot measure these things properly in hours. Creativity and imagination can manifest themselves in a fraction of a second, which may be the only thing we are aware of, while the subconscious has been working on it for days, weeks, or more, without our noticing.

Expectations are dangerous, especially when based on factors over which one has no control. If the better programmers are tickled by the name, or inspired by the reference to a classic work of comic sci-fi, then yes, possibly. Note that this is not the first reference to the aforementioned work. Hsu and co. did it first.
Wow Albert,I'm impressed :D
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Albert Silver wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Some questions:

Some of the comments in SF have periods at the end like so:

/// EndgameFunctions member definitions.
But other comments are missing the periods, like so:

/// MaterialInfoTable c'tor and d'tor, called once by each thread
I have corrected this and put periods on the end of all comments consistently and if the developers don't accept this patch, I will be releasing my own version also.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

benstoker wrote:
Some of the comments in SF have periods at the end like so:

/// EndgameFunctions member definitions.
But other comments are missing the periods, like so:

/// MaterialInfoTable c'tor and d'tor, called once by each thread
I have corrected this and put periods on the end of all comments consistently and if the developers don't accept this patch, I will be releasing my own version also.
Not worth the pain. Such a patch increases playing strength by only 10 Elo points.

My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de