understanding the knight bishop mate

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jaap Weidemann

Re: understanding the knight bishop mate

Post by Jaap Weidemann »

Dann Corbit wrote:Speaking of understanding the knight/bishop mate...
Is there a clear and understandable explanation somewhere?
Hi Dann

This paper may be of interest.

Jaap
http://www.weidchess.com/
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

It is surprising that my engines on PPC can only anounce the mate with B+N when down to the last 13 moves or so.
But when I set up a position with the 2 Bishops the mate announcements come at the start ie mate in 29 and quite quickly I say.Obviously computers have the same hang up about the B+N ending as we humans do.
bob

Post by bob »

Cubeman wrote:It is surprising that my engines on PPC can only anounce the mate with B+N when down to the last 13 moves or so.
But when I set up a position with the 2 Bishops the mate announcements come at the start ie mate in 29 and quite quickly I say.Obviously computers have the same hang up about the B+N ending as we humans do.
Part of the problem with KBN vs K is that many of the moves are not checks. And, in fact, there are lots of zugzwang positions as well, which makes it even more difficult for a null-move program.. The 2 Bs are completely different as most moves end up being checks or king moves.