iPad, is there a good chess app ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

iPad, is there a good chess app ?

Post by Lion »

Hi all,

What I am looking for, is one that has :

- Strong chess level (comparable to Pocket Fritz 4)
- Possibility to create subvariations when analysing

Also it would be just magic if ChessBase would have the playchess server accessible from Mac/Ipad.

regards
govert

Re: iPad, is there a good chess app ?

Post by govert »

Shredder has an iPad version.

Don't know if it meets your specs though.
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Shredder on the iPad is very nice.
Meets your first but not second requirement though.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Chessbase is missing out on serious subscription revenue because a lack of GUI for mobile devices, I now play all my internet games from my WM powered mobile phone either while out and about or thru local Wi-Fi connection when at home.ICC and FICS have many devices/ applications which give user access to online chess and my main app is PocketGM.
As I understand it Stan Tskrov who developed PocketFritz3 and 4 was planning a GUI release some time in 2010 which would allow online chess for portable devices.I see that there is room for improvement from the current apps that allow this, such as premove, variants like FRC or bughouse, loser.
Won't some of the current apps that work on iphone still work on the ipad?
sje

Glaurung

Post by sje »

If it works for the iPhone, it should work on the iPad.

See: http://www.glaurungchess.com/
shiv

Re: Glaurung

Post by shiv »

Yes, if something works on the iphone it will on the ipad. However, it does not look visually appealing at all. If you want the app to fill up more space than on the iphone, the ipad allows you the option of a 2x view (an effective doubling of the iphone image), which really looks ugly.

I recall a email conversation with Tord, where he was telling me that variation support is hard to add to a chess app and still maintain apple's simple UI guidelines. Apparently, Apple does not permit apps which have too complex a UI. His opinion was that adding variation support will likely fail Apple. The fact that no chess app supports variations on the app store is a surprisingly relevant fact.