The poll for ippolit lovers and haters!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What is Ippolit?

A perfectly legal engine
47%
An engine of dubious origins, possibly unethical and even illegal.
53%

Total votes: 93

frcha

Re: The poll for ippolit lovers and haters!

Post by frcha »

Steve B wrote:
frcha wrote:
alpha123 wrote:Er, I certainly wouldn't call them "Greedy Capitalists". I can see why CCRL and CEGT don't test Ippolit. I wouldn't test an anonymous engine either. They should, however, test Houdini as if it's not based on Ippo. If it was, Robert would be a lair/"legal cloner" (Ippo source is public domain). And they should probably test Fire, even though it is based on Ippo, because we have a name attached to it + Norm readily admits it comes from Ippo and has never denied it.

Ippolit family is legal, though. Dunno how moral it is to use them, since we don't really know what happened, but under the current story (Rybka was decompiled, studied a lot, and then the original IPPOLIT was created from that knowledge), I guess it's moral. It's like taking apart a Ferrari and looking at its inner workings, then building another car with those ideas.

Peter
I can't edit my poll to remove the greedy capitalists part ....unfortunately ..

:(
let me know if you want me to change it for you ..i can also remove your "note" ..discussing the greedy part
Steve
Sure you can change it. Hopefully, there would be more responses then, though I wonder if there are much people who would choose option 1 who object to the "greedy capitalist" part!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

frcha wrote:
Steve B wrote:
frcha wrote:
alpha123 wrote:Er, I certainly wouldn't call them "Greedy Capitalists". I can see why CCRL and CEGT don't test Ippolit. I wouldn't test an anonymous engine either. They should, however, test Houdini as if it's not based on Ippo. If it was, Robert would be a lair/"legal cloner" (Ippo source is public domain). And they should probably test Fire, even though it is based on Ippo, because we have a name attached to it + Norm readily admits it comes from Ippo and has never denied it.

Ippolit family is legal, though. Dunno how moral it is to use them, since we don't really know what happened, but under the current story (Rybka was decompiled, studied a lot, and then the original IPPOLIT was created from that knowledge), I guess it's moral. It's like taking apart a Ferrari and looking at its inner workings, then building another car with those ideas.

Peter
I can't edit my poll to remove the greedy capitalists part ....unfortunately ..

:(
let me know if you want me to change it for you ..i can also remove your "note" ..discussing the greedy part
Steve
Sure you can change it. Hopefully, there would be more responses then, though I wonder if there are much people who would choose option 1 who object to the "greedy capitalist" part!
Done Regards
Steve
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

It looks like the guys from the OpenChess forum are not aware of this pool and hence the weird result thus far :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

The poll has restrictions, I'm not allowed to vote for example.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Gino Figlio wrote:The poll has restrictions, I'm not allowed to vote for example.
Hmmm
thats strange
the poll should have no restrictions
perhaps the same voter restrictions are in place for all polls as in the general election last month?
only the TCADMIN can place restrictions like that
i will contact him to see if that is the case and if so, ask him to lift the restrictions

in the meantime...i set up a test poll
try to vote in it

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 078#368078

Steve
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

Thank you, I am now able to vote in both polls.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:It looks like the guys from the OpenChess forum are not aware of this pool and hence the weird result thus far :lol:

They can vote now. You can tell too. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:It looks like the guys from the OpenChess forum are not aware of this pool and hence the weird result thus far :lol:

:wink: :wink: :? :o :evil: :wink:
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I didn't vote because I only try to go with with truth, and I simply don't know enough,to be able to say opinion.
But I find it interesting to see other peoples reasonings for it being legal and moral.

(Sorry, editing now, to avoid missunderstanding, I mean, I DO like the idea that it is legal and moral, but I like to hear the way it is explained. But i admit i didn't read all the hundreds, or maybe thousands of posts about all this matter. Partly because i don't understood much technology terminologies).
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:

:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….