The poll for ippolit lovers and haters!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What is Ippolit?

A perfectly legal engine
47%
An engine of dubious origins, possibly unethical and even illegal.
53%

Total votes: 93

frcha

The poll for ippolit lovers and haters!

Post by frcha »

I wonder first if this subject is allowed... I think it should. I am merely querying and trying to find info about a certain engine.

My take is that something is shady about this engine's origins. It seems to me that you cannot bring legal action against these guys even if they reveal themselves that is based on the report by this BB character.
Unless of course the ex-Rybka disgruntled employee theory holds.

By the way, I am now inclined to choose option 2 despite my interest in this engine. Also, I think I can see why rating lists will choose not to include this or any related engines.
Steve B

Re: The poll for ippolit lovers and haters!

Post by Steve B »

Its perfectly fine to run the poll
although i highly doubt that all those who choose not to test Ippo are all greedy capitalists.. so not sure how serious your poll is
probably best to remove the greedy capitalist reference from your poll if you want members to take the poll somewhat more seriously..IMHO
many members might like to vote ..but not make a post.. so they might refrain from voting and choosing option 1 if they dont agree with the Greedy part
this must be about the 5th-6th poll dealing with Ippo and Family since they first appeared here
perhaps even more

Steve
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:Its perfectly fine to run the poll
although i highly doubt that all those who choose not to test Ippo are all greedy capitalists.. so not sure how serious your poll is
probably best to remove the greedy capitalist reference from your poll if you want members to take the poll somewhat more seriously..IMHO
many members might like to vote ..but not make a post.. so they might refrain from voting and choosing option 1 if they dont agree with the Greedy part
this must be about the 5th-6th poll dealing with Ippo and Family since they first appeared here
perhaps even more

Steve
I vote perfectly legal,now are you gonna shoot me :!: :?:

:lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Er, I certainly wouldn't call them "Greedy Capitalists". I can see why CCRL and CEGT don't test Ippolit. I wouldn't test an anonymous engine either. They should, however, test Houdini as if it's not based on Ippo. If it was, Robert would be a lair/"legal cloner" (Ippo source is public domain). And they should probably test Fire, even though it is based on Ippo, because we have a name attached to it + Norm readily admits it comes from Ippo and has never denied it.

Ippolit family is legal, though. Dunno how moral it is to use them, since we don't really know what happened, but under the current story (Rybka was decompiled, studied a lot, and then the original IPPOLIT was created from that knowledge), I guess it's moral. It's like taking apart a Ferrari and looking at its inner workings, then building another car with those ideas.

Peter
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

alpha123 wrote:Er, I certainly wouldn't call them "Greedy Capitalists". I can see why CCRL and CEGT don't test Ippolit. I wouldn't test an anonymous engine either. They should, however, test Houdini as if it's not based on Ippo. If it was, Robert would be a lair/"legal cloner" (Ippo source is public domain). And they should probably test Fire, even though it is based on Ippo, because we have a name attached to it + Norm readily admits it comes from Ippo and has never denied it.

Ippolit family is legal, though. Dunno how moral it is to use them, since we don't really know what happened, but under the current story (Rybka was decompiled, studied a lot, and then the original IPPOLIT was created from that knowledge), I guess it's moral. It's like taking apart a Ferrari and looking at its inner workings, then building another car with those ideas.

Peter
Yeap,testing Houdini & Fire should be ok in my opinion but it's their business,the testing groups,to do it or not,not our....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
frcha

Post by frcha »

alpha123 wrote:Er, I certainly wouldn't call them "Greedy Capitalists". I can see why CCRL and CEGT don't test Ippolit. I wouldn't test an anonymous engine either. They should, however, test Houdini as if it's not based on Ippo. If it was, Robert would be a lair/"legal cloner" (Ippo source is public domain). And they should probably test Fire, even though it is based on Ippo, because we have a name attached to it + Norm readily admits it comes from Ippo and has never denied it.

Peter
I can't edit my poll to remove the greedy capitalists part ....unfortunately ..

:(
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

frcha wrote:

Peter

let me know if you want me to change it for you ..i can also remove your "note" ..discussing the greedy part
Steve
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

I think this one started again the discuss.
This topic is very complicated and important parts are unclear. After around 1 year I missed some information from the programmer of Rybka.

We have to live with the IPP. Familie. I don't like the engines, different commercial (Rybka for an example) or freeware engines too.

I found a way to make my SWCR perhaps for all more interesting.

In SWCR-32 I don't test the IPP. family. In SWCR-64 (for me very experimental) I will test it in the near future. A little compromise.

With the result:
For each one are inforamtion in SWCR available which could be interesting. Why not, I have the hardware and the possibilities to do that.

I don't know whats right or not. All this is a new situation we have. Each one should find out a way for himself.

After my experience of life, its a little bit danger to ignore situations. Its more easy to ingore situations but with time it isn't the right solution.

A good example are the UCI / Winboard protocols. Most commercial ignore it at the first time.

The group of free software programmers are to strong and overrunning the commercial with ideas and interesting programs. I think thats a good example. Commercial software is important, clear ... but clear is also ... since many years ... that is a question of time only ... and in the TOP 20 are 15 or more freeware engines included.

For the commercial programmers other things are more important as engines (example: GUI development).

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Add-on:
Engine programmers which selling engines are for me not the classical commercials. I know that from engines nobody can living. But it can be interesting to pay travals to chess tournaments or pay a new programming language software packet.

With commercials I mean the others :-)

Best
Frank
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

frcha wrote:

Peter

Eh, it's quite funny anyway. Would have been even better like
Fact: Legally rise of IPPOLIT ship impaled by greedy capitalist party

:lol:

Peter