HTC HD2 with Android or Windows 6.5 Chess Programs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Weck

Re: HTC HD2 with Android or Windows 6.5 Chess Programs

Post by Robert Weck »

Another good option should be "Shredder for Android" (released just a week ago)

Looks like a port of the iPhone version and costs 5.99 € (around US$ 8). I haven't bought it until now, as i already have it on my iPod Touch. I don't know, if there are differences, but the GUI looks identical...
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Robert Weck wrote:Another good option should be "Shredder for Android" (released just a week ago)

Looks like a port of the iPhone version and costs 5.99 € (around US$ 8). I haven't bought it until now, as i already have it on my iPod Touch. I don't know, if there are differences, but the GUI looks identical...
Found it! Thanks for the info, I will give it a go.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Cubeman »

Shredder on Android has more options than Iphone you can have time level games and better inteligent move completion
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3671
I have only experience with WM devices but am interested in what Android will do.So far the best that I got for WM is Pocketfritz4 strong engine,great for database functions and very fast at handling large PGN files compared to others.
I use to only have dedicated PDA type devices (no phone capabilities) so was only interested in studying and researching in my spare time.
But now I have a new AcerNeoTouch cell-phone and like to play online in my free time.The best experience for online play at FICS or ICC is to use PocketGrandmaster mainly because you can save the games and analyse them later, also the data useage is small so you should not get big cell-phone bill.So far there has been alot of developments in the playing against the phone engine but what I want to see more of is better online choices with support for FRC and other variants, premove also would be a welcome for play on ICC as I find using a phone for online play a bit slower than a wired desktop.
Does anyone have experiece with online play using an Android device?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

bnst wrote:I have an HTC HD2 and have been thinking of installing the Android since I'm not very satisfied with the Windwos Mobile software. Do you think the Android version will be stable ? As far as I understand it is just an unofficial port and still in the developement stage.

It would be wonderful with Android and Stockfish !
Redards
Andreas
I am now running my HD2 with the "Mattc Leo + Froyo w/Sense 1.8" rom (Android 2.2 beta). Now I can say "YES", I find it very stable and I am loving it. Even the wife had me install it on her's.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=736545

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Cubeman »

Now you have got it running Android can you reccomend any decent chess software, I am looking for a good quality online chess experience.
bnst

Post by bnst »

I'm so tempted, but this is a work phone so I have to be careful.
Perhaps I will try it on an SD card - if I find the time :)

Thanks for the update.
Andreas