About "other engines"

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: About "other engines"

Post by Graham Banks »

karger wrote:Thank you, Dr. Wesler, for directly confronting Banks. It is about time somebody did. I and many others are indebted to you. John Karger 8-) 8-)
Why not confront any of the other 53% who stated in the most recent poll that they thought these engines were of dubious origin? :wink:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ppo+haters
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

For God's sake men!! Leave Banks alone! He is a man that follow his conscience. Do NOT fault him for that! diagree if one must. That is ok. So...let Banks have his opinion and let that be ok as well. I for one am very suspicious of those that attack those that follwow thier conscience. NUFF SAID.
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Banks, I am deeply hurt and offended. I did not get your traditional "CHEERS" at the end of your last post in this thread?? :shock: John Karger, PS, there is no hard evidence :twisted:
Don

Post by Don »

chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: I know that many engines working around , are not "officially 'recognized... As many people tell that they are clones of Fruit or whatever, i wish to know if anybody of the commercial companies has began a trial in any country to protect its rights....
Pls clear me up , because if u say that an engine is watched as clone and ilegal, why nobody (if this is true) sued them till now. And if it is the case,no sues, why do u split the spaces over this forum....
Thx
Dr Wesler
I don't believe any recent chess company has initiated legal proceedings to protect it's rights.

I don't think this implies anything however. The idea that this proves they don't believe it's a clone is really naive on your part. When a company decides to do such a thing they have to weigh the potential benefit vs the potential gain. Litigation always carries a significant potential downside and very often fails to pay for itself.

I think you must put chess software in the same league as the big corporations who commonly go to court over many things. The big corporations use litigation as a tool and weapon - it's rarely about justice. You are just extremely naive if you think it's as simple as just suing someone to protect your rights, the good guys always win, etc. You have been watching too many television shows perhaps.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: it looks like too bully to prejudje; and u are prejudging or directly judging. Are u the owner of this forum?? I can understand that u have your own opinions, but u have no rights to be a censorer to other rights or opinions. I think that this must be discussed publicly. Something is legal or not; a woman is pregnant or not ; black or white; Why do u sit in the chair of the prosecutors??? Indeeed u have settled that some engines should be discussed in different fora..... Have u any right to do so? Who gave u those rights??? PLEASE, tell me if IVANHOE is LEGAL or ILEGAL, and thats it. Yes or NOT.
My respects
Well,the woman is pregnant alright,but the father is unknown :lol:

:P

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Clones telenovela !

Post by Sylwy »

Don wrote: You have been watching too many television shows perhaps.
Yes,Yes ! :lol: Telenovelas ! :lol:

I was also attacked please ???? :roll:

With love ,

Silvian von Iasi :lol:

PS: Hello Doc ! Have a nice Sunday YOU & all my friends !
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

Don wrote:
chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: I know that many engines working around , are not "officially 'recognized... As many people tell that they are clones of Fruit or whatever, i wish to know if anybody of the commercial companies has began a trial in any country to protect its rights....
Pls clear me up , because if u say that an engine is watched as clone and ilegal, why nobody (if this is true) sued them till now. And if it is the case,no sues, why do u split the spaces over this forum....
Thx
Dr Wesler
I don't believe any recent chess company has initiated legal proceedings to protect it's rights.

I don't think this implies anything however. The idea that this proves they don't believe it's a clone is really naive on your part. When a company decides to do such a thing they have to weigh the potential benefit vs the potential gain. Litigation always carries a significant potential downside and very often fails to pay for itself.

I think you must put chess software in the same league as the big corporations who commonly go to court over many things. The big corporations use litigation as a tool and weapon - it's rarely about justice. You are just extremely naive if you think it's as simple as just suing someone to protect your rights, the good guys always win, etc. You have been watching too many television shows perhaps.
Mr. Dailey,

Do you know of any chess company that saw their code stolen and distributed as freeware and did not sue?
If you had a commercial product and god forbid went through the same experience would you sue?
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Don wrote:
Thx
Dr Wesler

Mr. Dailey,

Software has copyright protection, but not patent protection. That means that the implementation belongs to the writer of the software, but the idea belongs to everyone. So, if someone publishes a sorting algorithm, then I may read it, understand it, and write a version that does exactly the same thing. It may look very nearly identical to the original. There is nothing wrong with doing that. So, for instance, a man might read a parsing algorithm and decide that he likes the method and write his own version that does the same thing.
It is very hard to tell by looking whether someone took a piece of code and then modified it over and over to make it do what he wants it to do within his own program verses whether he read the code, understood it, and then wrote his own version. Those of us that think we can tell the difference are playing God.
Unless the code is line for line identical AND we can also prove that the author of the new version does not have a nearly photographic memory.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Clones telenovela !

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sylwy wrote:
Don wrote: You have been watching too many television shows perhaps.
Yes,Yes ! :lol: Telenovelas ! :lol:

I was also attacked please ???? :roll:

With love ,

Silvian von Iasi :lol:

PS: Hello Doc ! Have a nice Sunday YOU & all my friends !
Thanks Silvian my dear friend :D
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

Please, if you have a post in mind as insulting,. let us know signaling clearly which it is.
Not me neither the other moderators has always the time to read every post.

My best
Fern