About "other engines"

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chesstango

About "other engines"

Post by chesstango »

Dear Graham: I know that many engines working around , are not "officially 'recognized... As many people tell that they are clones of Fruit or whatever, i wish to know if anybody of the commercial companies has began a trial in any country to protect its rights....
Pls clear me up , because if u say that an engine is watched as clone and ilegal, why nobody (if this is true) sued them till now. And if it is the case,no sues, why do u split the spaces over this forum....
Thx
Dr Wesler
Dr. Bernardo Wesler
INFORMATION DOESN'T REPLACE KNOWLEDGE AND KNOWLEDGE DOESN'T REPLACE WISDOM.
Graham Banks

Re: About "other engines"

Post by Graham Banks »

chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: I know that many engines working around , are not "officially 'recognized... As many people tell that they are clones of Fruit or whatever, i wish to know if anybody of the commercial companies has began a trial in any country to protect its rights....
Pls clear me up , because if u say that an engine is watched as clone and ilegal, why nobody (if this is true) sued them till now. And if it is the case,no sues, why do u split the spaces over this forum....
Thx
Dr Wesler
Hi Bernardo,

everybody is entitled to their own opinion on the controversial engines. I choose not to use them, but why should that matter to anybody else? Everybody is free to make his or her own choice.

However, because I believe that the Ippo code on which they're based was taken from closed source commercial Rybka by anonymous persons, I'm not going to make convenient excuses to download them and use them.

Cheers,
Graham.

PS - you could have asked me by PM or email rather than start a thread directed specifically at me. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
chesstango

Post by chesstango »

Dear Graham: it looks like too bully to prejudje; and u are prejudging or directly judging. Are u the owner of this forum?? I can understand that u have your own opinions, but u have no rights to be a censorer to other rights or opinions. I think that this must be discussed publicly. Something is legal or not; a woman is pregnant or not ; black or white; Why do u sit in the chair of the prosecutors??? Indeeed u have settled that some engines should be discussed in different fora..... Have u any right to do so? Who gave u those rights??? PLEASE, tell me if IVANHOE is LEGAL or ILEGAL, and thats it. Yes or NOT.
My respects
Dr. Bernardo Wesler
chesstango

Post by chesstango »

If u believe that the Ippo code on which they're based was taken from closed source commercial Rybka by anonymous persons, is Rybka author demanding any person or site or whatever??? Tell me, pls. People wants to know the truth and people wants honesty. It looks like that u are accusing anonymous persons of something that is ilegal. Come on Graham.....
Let people choose and decide. That is freedom.
Dr. Bernardo Wesler
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: it looks like too bully to prejudje; and u are prejudging or directly judging. Are u the owner of this forum?? I can understand that u have your own opinions, but u have no rights to be a censorer to other rights or opinions. I think that this must be discussed publicly. Something is legal or not; a woman is pregnant or not ; black or white; Why do u sit in the chair of the prosecutors??? Indeeed u have settled that some engines should be discussed in different fora..... Have u any right to do so? Who gave u those rights??? PLEASE, tell me if IVANHOE is LEGAL or ILEGAL, and thats it. Yes or NOT.
My respects
I have no more rights than anybody else here, and my opinion is no more important than anybody else in here either. Not sure why you'd think otherwise.

I've already stated that I choose not use any of the Ippo engines. That includes Ivanhoe.
Others are free to do as they wish.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

Dear Bernard:
All topics of that kind can be discussed here since the installment of the current moderators team.

Fern
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Thank you, Dr. Wesler, for directly confronting Banks. It is about time somebody did. I and many others are indebted to you. John Karger 8-) 8-)
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Does this thread really serve a point?

I might even consider it a personal attack on Mr. Banks.
PLEASE, tell me if IVANHOE is LEGAL or ILEGAL, and thats it.
Yes, it is. The debate is mainly about whether or not it is ethical to use it. (I believe it is, though I would change that if we got some hard evidence otherwise.)

Peter
Don

Post by Don »

chesstango wrote:Dear Graham: it looks like too bully to prejudje; and u are prejudging or directly judging. Are u the owner of this forum?? I can understand that u have your own opinions, but u have no rights to be a censorer to other rights or opinions. I think that this must be discussed publicly. Something is legal or not; a woman is pregnant or not ; black or white; Why do u sit in the chair of the prosecutors??? Indeeed u have settled that some engines should be discussed in different fora..... Have u any right to do so? Who gave u those rights??? PLEASE, tell me if IVANHOE is LEGAL or ILEGAL, and thats it. Yes or NOT.
My respects
Why is there no moderation here? I've seen several posts, some of the authors are being very respectful (even under attack), others are being inflammatory.
Don

Post by Don »

fern wrote:Dear Bernard:
All topics of that kind can be discussed here since the installment of the current moderators team.

Fern
I have no issue with the topic being discussed. But please moderate the personal attacks.