Scid fork and Phalanx news

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stevenaaus

Re: Scid fork and Phalanx news

Post by stevenaaus »

Mithu wrote:That Pic of yours has a better look than mine :) :D
Do you have tkimg installed ? (In the options window, there will be nine piece styles available - but only three if no tkimg). It's a little bit of a pain to do manually, but there'a heap of sweet piece sets if you can get it going :wink:.
Don

Post by Don »

stevenaaus wrote:If anyone missed my post in the tournament sections, my project Scid vs. PC is starting to look quite mature. It's got a heap of improvements over SCID - A decent gamelist widget and interface, and improvements to FICs, Tacgame, Help-menus and the Puzzle features come to mind.

The next thing to do is to port SCID's recent si4, undo(redesign?) and tree caching code. It's not a *huge* task, but any C gurus wanting to lend a hand would be welcome.

It also has a few Phalanx fixes, and i've recently chown-ed the sourceforge Phalanx project, if anyone's still interested in this engine.
I took a look at this yesterday and I'm impressed. There are a few glitches but overall very nicely done.

Linux users have few graphical user interface options for chess so this is especially nice to see for linux. As far as I can tell now the top 3 choices (in no particular order) for playing games are:

1. Jose
2. xboard
3. Scid vs PC

I know there are other things but they are either seriously buggy or seriously deficient or do not work so well on all the linux window mangers smoothly. For example I never got "knights" to work with gnome so I cannot really evaluate it.

Jose appears to be an abandoned project which is a crying shame - it has some bugs but is very impressive and with just a bit more polish (bug fixes) would rule linux.

xboard is quite good thanks in part to work H.G. is doing which makes it more UCI friendly. xboard requires a bit more of a linux mentality to be happy with and I'm of course happy with it, but it's a different concept from Arena.

Now we have this as another option. Nice work - please keep improving it!

Don
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

stevenaaus wrote:If anyone missed my post in the tournament sections, my project Scid vs. PC is starting to look quite mature. It's got a heap of improvements over SCID - A decent gamelist widget and interface, and improvements to FICs, Tacgame, Help-menus and the Puzzle features come to mind.

The next thing to do is to port SCID's recent si4, undo(redesign?) and tree caching code. It's not a *huge* task, but any C gurus wanting to lend a hand would be welcome.

It also has a few Phalanx fixes, and i've recently chown-ed the sourceforge Phalanx project, if anyone's still interested in this engine.

Good job!

Unfortunately I use intensively the correspondence chess module for SCID which seems not to be supported....

Keep up the good work !
Saludos, Andres
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Andres Valverde wrote:Unfortunately I use intensively the correspondence chess module for SCID which seems not to be supported....
I know Alexander does heaps of work with this.
I've did a quick port from Scid CVS of correspondence chess which i commited (then backed out as it'll break the App when used with non-english).
You can test it (english only) with:
svn co https://scidvspc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scidvspc -r 291
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

Steve: thanks for all your work on this project.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

stevenaaus wrote:
Mithu wrote:That Pic of yours has a better look than mine :) :D
Do you have tkimg installed ? (In the options window, there will be nine piece styles available - but only three if no tkimg). It's a little bit of a pain to do manually, but there'a heap of sweet piece sets if you can get it going :wink:.
I did it Steve and its awesome !!!
Thanks a ton.
BTW I am still not able to open the Si4 files yet?
Am I missing something?

And is it possible to get an 'Check for updates' button in the Help menu?
Regards and thanks once again. :D
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Is it possible to change the "+" cursor of SCID ? I hate that... Also the cursor highlights the square, it is anoying...
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

I did it Steve and its awesome !!! Thanks a ton.
Cool ;>
BTW I am still not able to open the Si4 files yet? Am I missing something?
That code is only in subversion. (If you *are* using subversion code , make sure there the scid script
that gets installed with "make install" is the same scid that's reported by "which scid").

If i don't get any bad bug reports, i'll make a new windows and source (and perhaps OSX... volunteers ?) release in the next couple of weeks.
And is it possible to get an 'Check for updates' button in the Help menu?
No.. i don't have much of a packaging system. There's just too many linux distros, and i think it's easiest to compile from source.
I realise this can be hard sometimes, so any queries about this stage let me know and i'll update my doco.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Ponti wrote:Also the cursor highlights the square, it is anoying...
Options->Moves->ShowSuggestedMoves.
Both these items/defaults are changed in Scid vs. PC.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Ponti wrote:Is it possible to change the "+" cursor of SCID ? I hate that... Also the cursor highlights the square, it is anoying...
I requested a 'hand' cursor Ponti...but seems to have escaped Steve's notice.