RE chessbase light

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

poisonedpawn

RE chessbase light

Post by poisonedpawn »

if i have fritz 11 GUI what would be the advantage of downloading chessbase light...if any?
the geeks shall inherit the earth
Albert Silver

Re: RE chessbase light

Post by Albert Silver »

poisonedpawn wrote:if i have fritz 11 GUI what would be the advantage of downloading chessbase light...if any?
They are quite different programs. Fritz is above all to play against an engine, use various analysis features, etc. Its database usage is there, but secondary in importance. CB (and Light) is a program designed for searching databases and manipulating chess games and data. Since CB Light is free, why not just DL it and see for yourself?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I have CB 8. Rather disappointing IMHO. The new (even Fritz ) engines are not compatible with it. There are no real advantages of having it by my lights. I am told that the lateset CB program is not 64 bit technology friendly.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Scid plus Houdini and Stockfish is good enough.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:I have CB 8. Rather disappointing IMHO. The new (even Fritz ) engines are not compatible with it. There are no real advantages of having it by my lights. I am told that the lateset CB program is not 64 bit technology friendly.
Not 64-bit friendly in what sense?

As to the latest top engines not being compatible with a very old version of CB, that is hardly surprising.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

See here from Rybka Forum "Does it at least support 64bit natively? That would certainly dramatically improve database functions, and not having MP support is just incredibly lazy. I still have CB9 and to be honest cannot see the reason to upgrade to CB11. I mean the latest Fritz or Rybka CB GUI seems to have all the database functions I need. I have several copies of Zappa in 64bit that are running 64bit GUI natively (I think was Fritz 9 era) ... I wonder why CB have not built on that? "Reply •Report

"Sadly, no. It runs in 32-bit compatibility mode. It's infuriating to think about when you're waiting for a painfully slow database operation to complete. Lack of serious competition has made them extremely lazy. Don't get me started on the price. Reply •Report"

If the above is accurate ( I can not verify as I do not have the program) then yes it is not surprising that chess base does not make their products backward compatible. It is just poor customer relations. Why spend money on a product with such a quick expiration date? Ergo I am somewhat loathe to purchase the newer model.

I could almost understand it (chessbase database program)not working with other than chessbase engines. However to not work with newer versions of Fritz is reprehensible. the program becomes almost immediately obsolete for those (GM s? ) that want/need their equipment to work with the most recent/ best chess playing programs.

I wonder if I would indeed be better served if I used the free chessbaselight instead of my purchased chessbase 8? How pathetic if this were so.

Hope I am not breaking any charter rules from quoting from another Forum. My Bad if so.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

O-M-GOODNESS!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
shiv

Post by shiv »

Nimzovik wrote:See here from Rybka Forum "Does it at least support 64bit natively? That would certainly dramatically improve database functions, and not having MP support is just incredibly lazy. I still have CB9 and to be honest cannot see the reason to upgrade to CB11. I mean the latest Fritz or Rybka CB GUI seems to have all the database functions I need. I have several copies of Zappa in 64bit that are running 64bit GUI natively (I think was Fritz 9 era) ... I wonder why CB have not built on that? "Reply •Report

"Sadly, no. It runs in 32-bit compatibility mode. It's infuriating to think about when you're waiting for a painfully slow database operation to complete. Lack of serious competition has made them extremely lazy. Don't get me started on the price. Reply •Report"

If the above is accurate ( I can not verify as I do not have the program) then yes it is not surprising that chess base does not make their products backward compatible. It is just poor customer relations. Why spend money on a product with such a quick expiration date? Ergo I am somewhat loathe to purchase the newer model.

I could almost understand it (chessbase database program)not working with other than chessbase engines. However to not work with newer versions of Fritz is reprehensible. the program becomes almost immediately obsolete for those (GM s? ) that want/need their equipment to work with the most recent/ best chess playing programs.

I wonder if I would indeed be better served if I used the free chessbaselight instead of my purchased chessbase 8? How pathetic if this were so.

Hope I am not breaking any charter rules from quoting from another Forum. My Bad if so.
Personally I am not sure if 64 bit mode can really help speed up database searches. There might be a convoluted way to do so, but nothing trivial.

MP support to do parallel database search however would have been nice.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

MP support to do parallel database search however would have been nice

Yes indeed.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:CB (and Light) is a program designed for searching databases and manipulating chess games and data. Since CB Light is free, why not just DL it and see for yourself?
Once I downloaded and installed it. I removed it 5 minutes later. I was furious to find that I cannot create or modify a database. Then what is it for? I can search a database and enter new games using my pretty old HIARCS 10/Fritz 9 GUI.
Yes, but for Hiarcs10/Fritz9 you pay money. :)

CBLight is for free to testing the Gui and build an opinion.
If you upgrade to Premium Version (for 49€) this limitation is terminated.

Is even better than CB9 i have before.