Deep Saros 2.3c5 Free UCI Engine is out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

De Vos W

Deep Saros 2.3c5 Free UCI Engine is out

Post by De Vos W »

Deep SarosFree U.CI.I chess engine Deep Saros U.C.I. engine
------------------------
Deep Saros is a chess engine free for non-commercial use. Deep Saros derived from an old version of the strong free software "Ivanhoe". Deep Saros also includes ideas and pieces of code derived from the various series software Ippolit (RobboLito, Igorrit). In addition to the author's ideas, Deep Saros also contains ideas taken from various free chess engines, including Glaurung, Fruit and Crafty.
Deep Saros is, at present, an experimental program, although in practical tests has been very strong and competitive.

Deep Saros has no graphical interface and its use is recommended to install one of the many GUIs available, both free and commercial, such as: Arena, Scid, Winboard/Xboard, Josè, Fritz, Schredder, Chessbase, etc. ...
For use on Winboard/Xboard, you must download and install the free program "Polyglot".

Currently, the only versions available are the following:

Microsoft Windows© - 32bit (7, Vista, XP)
Linux 64bit

Unfortunately my computer has only Windows 32bit and Linux 64bit but, after the enourmous gains from the sale of Deep Saros, I may finally buy a new computer, and release the 64bit Windos© version... :-)

U.C.I. Options.
---------------------
- Hash: Amount of hash table memory used by the program in MB. Default 128, min 4, max 1024/16384 (32/64-bit).

- PawnHash: Amount of hash table memory used for pawns evaluation Default 128, min 1 max 1024.

- MultiThread: enable/disable the multi threading management. True or false.

- CPUs: Maximum number of cores used by the analysis (min 1, max 8).

- Ponder: Have the engine think during its opponent's time. True or false.

- MultiPV: Number of principal variations shown. Default 1.

News U.C.I. Options respect the previous version:
-------------------------------------------------

- TimeTank: the program uses a "time buffer" to improve its performance in blitz games. It's expressed in milliseconds (min 0 max 10000 default 100)

- OverTimeBook: the program spends more time on the next move out of the openings book. (min 0 max 20 default 5)

- CheckOverTime: the program uses a time extension, in case of check to the King

http://deepsaros.jimdo.com/

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?o720wd92vk55ev2

Download: http://ahmed-chess.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Nimzovik

Re: Deep Saros 2.3c5 Free UCI Engine is out

Post by Nimzovik »

Wonderful!! Just how does this engine stand compared to the other "big" engines?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Any idea when the source code will be released?
ernest

Post by ernest »

De Vos W wrote:Deep SarosFree U.CI.I chess engine Deep Saros U.C.I. engine
Deep Saros 2.3c5 ?
The "name" is DeepSaros.exe v.2.3c5, but the download is called deepsaros23d.zip and the exe is DeepSaros23d-w32.exe 8-)
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

De Vos W wrote:Unfortunately my computer has only Windows 32bit and Linux 64bit but, after the enourmous gains from the sale of Deep Saros, I may finally buy a new computer, and release the 64bit Windos© version... :-)
When the source is released, i,m sure someone will compile a 64-bit version. :)
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Nimzovik wrote:Wonderful!! Just how does this engine stand compared to the other "big" engines?
It's stronger than Deep Rybka 4 !
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

De Vos W wrote:
Nimzovik wrote:Wonderful!! Just how does this engine stand compared to the other "big" engines?
It's stronger than Deep Rybka 4 !

Code: Select all

44 Rybka 4 1cpu                 3316   34   34   287   57%  3262   33% 

125 Saros 2.3c4 1cpu w          3211   75   75    60   53%  3186   30% 

hi, merhaba, hallo HT
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

And maybe a Mac version too ...
kranium

Post by kranium »

Quote from the web site:
"Deep Saros is a chess engine free and Open Source. Deep Saros derived from an old version of the strong free software "Ivanhoe". Deep Saros also includes ideas and pieces of code derived from the various series software Ippolit (RobboLito, Igorrit). In addition to the author's ideas, Deep Saros also contains ideas taken from various free chess engines, including Glaurung, Fruit and Crafty."

??

I normally would be interested in this engine, except upon close examination...I can't find any new code at all, and there's absolutely nothing from Glaurung, Fruit and Crafty?
?
?
It appears to be nothing more than a wholesale copy of IvanHoe-999952a
(minus function TRACE, and some UCI options)...

The only code changes are:
eval values incremented by 1 (sometimes 2)
and piece values changed slightly...

Perhaps the author can enlighten us as to the whereabouts of the his ideas? ...
and the ideas used from Glaurung, Fruit and Crafty ? Where are they?
And where exactly is the Igorrit and/or RobboLito code to be found?

PS - the polyglot book support mentioned on the web-site is non-existent...there is no native code for this.
The only way to use a polyglot book is via polyglot.exe (by Fabien Letouzey) with a suitable GUI.

This is a total rip-off if you ask me, with the author implying he's done a lot of development.
Norm
wims

Post by wims »

Its not really a ripoff, these kind of derivatives are pretty common in the open source community. This is exactly the point of the GPL, to let users change this they dont like and improve wherever they like. Or just release the same piece of code under a new name, that is of course also allowed. In fact, that is exactly what the CentOS linux distribution is doing. Its basically a 1:1 copy of the Redhat distribution, other than Redhat copyrighted logos.