Where have all the flowers gone?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

OliverUwira

Re: Where have all the flowers gone?

Post by OliverUwira »

Jan Brouwer wrote: I expect that quite some authors of medium strength engines have not studied this source code (I know for sure of at least one).
Studying source code is boring, it is much more fun to invent things yourself or code up ideas from online discussions.

Jan
+1
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

SzG wrote:
mcostalba wrote: BTW, just for your information, biggest part of the (original) ELO improving ideas in the last 1,5 years come from Joona, he has a much better understanding of search and evaluation then me.

I want to write this because I am sure he would never write this himself.
Just for your information, Elo is not an acronym but a name, after the inventor of the Elo rating system, Arpad Elo.

:lol:

(He died in 1992)
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Milos

Post by Milos »

SzG wrote:Just for your information, Elo is not an acronym but a name, after the inventor of the Elo rating system, Arpad Elo.
It's always nice to see some national pride :).
Milos

Post by Milos »

mcostalba wrote:
Milos wrote: There are certainly some memory overwrites in the code but they are related to different structure member pointers, they practically appear in any program (no matter how much author thinking of it as bug free) and they are far beyond any stupid MS (or any other) code analysis tool...
I have tried with some success Valgrind's Memcheck...
For these things it's the best Linux tool (better than Purify which I tried only as a trial).
For Windows it's either ridiculously expensive Purify or crappy (and also expensive with the total package) VS code analyzer...
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

SzG wrote:
mcostalba wrote: BTW, just for your information, biggest part of the (original) ELO improving ideas in the last 1,5 years come from Joona, he has a much better understanding of search and evaluation then me.

Just for your information, Elo is not an acronym but a name, after the inventor of the Elo rating system, Arpad Elo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, you wanted to be in the party, sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out in the cold :lol: :lol:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Nimzovik wrote:Old Zen proverb: Man throw spear at head - move head!
Or pull out a gun and shoot him. :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Milos

Post by Milos »

Graham Banks wrote:
Or pull out a gun and shoot him.
Why that doesn't surprise me... Seams like a typical strategy of your countryman against Maori...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Why that doesn't surprise me... Seams like a typical strategy of your countryman against Maori...
Only if you were living here about 150 years ago. The last wars here were that long ago, which I guess is more than you can boast in your patch. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Milos

Post by Milos »

Graham Banks wrote:
Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Only if you were living here about 150 years ago. The last wars here were that long ago, which I guess is more than you can boast in your patch. :wink:
There are many examples in history where ppl waited much more than 150 years but eventually gained their freedom and land from oppressors...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Milos wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
There are many examples in history where ppl waited much more than 150 years but eventually gained their freedom and land from oppressors...
Well things are fine here apart from the recession. There are no oppressed ethnic groups living here. Thanks for your concern though.
gbanksnz at gmail.com