Houdini 1.5 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Re: Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by Robert Flesher »

M ANSARI wrote:It seems to have a problem with 8 cores or the CB GUI. When the engine loads and you play one move of a game the system will freeze. After forcing cut of the GUI application (Ctrl Atl Del) with taskmanager, the application is still there in task manager and must be manually killed to get system up again. Not sure if it is related to 8 cores or if it is related to the GUI ... or maybe related to Large Pages not being compiled properly as mentioned.

This is also occuring on my system under the chessbase GUI. Infinite analysis causes a lock up and then the process/houndini.exe stays active even after you shut down the GUI ? Very strange ?
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Manually killed on Rybka forum !

Post by Sylwy »

M ANSARI wrote:................... and must be manually killed
Hello !
A Rybka 4.1 tester plays with Houdini 1.5 ??????????????????? :lol:
Rybka forum knows ?
Today my post with Ipon Rating List ( http://www.inwoba.de/ ) was deleted instantly on this fundamentalist forum ! :twisted:
Or, with your words , manually killed (beheaded ?) ??? :lol:

Manually..........regards,
:roll: S :roll:
Denzwell

Post by Denzwell »

Robert Flesher wrote: This is also occuring on my system under the chessbase GUI. Infinite analysis causes a lock up and then the process/houndini.exe stays active even after you shut down the GUI ? Very strange ?
When you install Houdini under Chessbase GUI you must set houdini to run in low priority
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Denzwell wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote: This is also occuring on my system under the chessbase GUI. Infinite analysis causes a lock up and then the process/houndini.exe stays active even after you shut down the GUI ? Very strange ?
When you install Houdini under Chessbase GUI you must set houdini to run in low priority
I didn't and have zero issues. (dual core here)
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Heh heh.... Is it possible the chessbase Gui updates are sabotaging the enbine in regard to the multiple core issue? 8-)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Albert Silver wrote:
Denzwell wrote:
I didn't and have zero issues. (dual core here)
I'll also add that it is using the Gaviota EGTBs with no issues as well.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Nimzovik wrote:Heh heh.... Is it possible the chessbase Gui updates are sabotaging the enbine in regard to the multiple core issue? 8-)
In software there is no need for conspiracy theories, software malfunctioning occurs quite naturally ;).

It's by all means a good idea to give the GUI a higher process priority than the engines.
Shredder this does automatically.
In Arena this is very easy configurable, there is a "Engine process priority in operation system" option panel.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Sylwy wrote:
Hello !
Rybka forum knows ?
Today my post with Ipon Rating List ( http://www.inwoba.de/ ) was deleted instantly on this fundamentalist forum ! :twisted:

Maybe tester(lol) M ANSARI is sick and tired of testing Bugka 4.1 and playing with Houdini 1.5 is a deliverance for his tormented soul.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

De Vos W wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Hello !
Rybka forum knows ?

Maybe tester(lol) M ANSARI is sick and tired of testing Bugka 4.1 and playing with Houdini 1.5 is a deliverance for his tormented soul.
Actually I just consider Houdini one of the many Rybka 3 derivatives and regularly test Rybka 4 against it ... including the latest R4 beta version. I also see nothing wrong with testing any engine that is available. Yes I beta test R4, but I have no problem beta testing Houdini. I don't consider Houdini anti Rybka but rather one of the many Rybka derivatives out there. Without Rybka 3 there would be no Ippolit, and I am pretty sure that is where most of Houdini's strength comes from. With regards to your problems on Rybka forum, I can assure you I have nothing to do with that.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Walter & M Ansari,

There is no need for repeating your points of view a 1000th time...
Thank you both for keeping the pro or contra Rybka debate out of this thread which is about the release of Houdini 1.5.