Houdini 1.5 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Houdini

Re: Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by Houdini »

Martin Thoresen wrote:As for not being able to turn off Large Pages permanently; this is
unfortunate, since in TCEC Large Pages is always disabled due to
not enough system RAM.
Martin,

You can permanently disable large pages by removing the "Lock Pages in Memory" privilege in the Local Policies of your Windows account. See the paragraph on the Houdini web page that explains about Large Memory Pages.

The modification should take less than a minute.

Robert
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Houdini wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:As for not being able to turn off Large Pages permanently; this is
unfortunate, since in TCEC Large Pages is always disabled due to
not enough system RAM.
Martin,

You can permanently disable large pages by removing the "Lock Pages in Memory" privilege in the Local Policies of your Windows account. See the paragraph on the Houdini web page that explains about Large Memory Pages.

The modification should take less than a minute.
Yes but an engine setting for this would take less than a second. :D
Anyway, thanks anyway for this!! :D
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Houdini wrote:The new Houdini 1.5 is available.

Main features are improved evaluation and search (by about 35 Elo), and Gaviota EGTB support.
Detailed information and download can be found at http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

I've created a mailbox for problem reports, suggestions or requests, you'll find the address on the web page.
If you enjoy Houdini, feel free to donate to the development of Houdini. Donations will be used for purchasing hardware to improve the testing of Houdini and will contribute directly to future versions.
Until now at IPON rating list and after 109 games (out of 1900 that will be played) Houdini 1.5 has a performance of 116 ELO more than its predecessor 1.03!!
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

mwyoung wrote:First thing I see is the KPS are way up on my Q6600 32bit. Search speed has gone form 1.03a 2,900-3300 Kns to Version 1.5 4300-4700. Kns
This is very good news, thanks for the information.
Houdini 1.03a wasn't very well adapted to quad Qxxxx processors, it seems that I've managed to remove this problem in the new version.

Cheers,
Robert
PawnStormZ

Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Robert.

Thank you very much for Houdini 1.5! I was able to get it from your site after the initial rush. By the way the site is nice and answers all the questions about options and settings clearly (if only people would read it!).

Houdini is my favorite engine for analysis; it is FAST, stable, S T R O N G, and gives very useable scores for positions, even in endings where others completely mis-score.

It has given me many hours of enjoyment, whether analysing my own games, solving puzzles (which it usually does quickly) going over GM games, or competing in local engine tourneys (where it dominates at fast time controls, and is always at or near the top in slower games) against the other top programs. I am looking forward to working with this upgrade very much.

Keep up the good work, and ignore all the nay-sayers and critics.

All the best to you and yours at the holidays!

milan123

Post by milan123 »

Houdini probably doesn't use large pages :(
When Ivanhoe is using large pages, "Working Set" is lower than "Private Bytes":
(Just after restart, 6GB ram.)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:Thanks Mr. Houdart. Great engine.

Yikes. Mcaffee toolbar gives last posted site for download as questionable. I will wait till better site is provided.

Major :shock: Paranoid :shock: regards - :?
Just so you know, McAfee (together with Norton) is one of the record holders in false alerts.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

Thanks for the update!

I have 6 gig of ram and usually run medium to long time control engine matches with each engine having 1 gig of ram for hash. What is the recommended gtb cach for my setup?
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Pal, thank you for your kind words. I hope you'll enjoy Houdini 1.5 as much as the previous version.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

mhalstern wrote:I have 6 gig of ram and usually run medium to long time control engine matches with each engine having 1 gig of ram for hash. What is the recommended gtb cach for my setup?
Marc, the default 64 MB or 128 MB should be fine for the GTB cache. But of course it won't hurt if you use 256 MB...