Is Chess A Sport?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Is Chess A Sport?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 43

Sean Evans

Is Chess A Sport?

Post by Sean Evans »

Arturo Ochoa

Re: Is Chess A Sport?

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Chess is just that, a game, but a very good one.

Sports imply physical activities. I don’t know how physical activities can happen during a chess game.

The physical preparation to be prepared to resist 3 hours is not chess itself.
Taner Altinsoy

Post by Taner Altinsoy »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Sports imply physical activities. I don’t know how physical activities can happen during a chess game.

Apparently you are not aware of the physical preparedness required to play in tournaments. I used to loose 2-3kg's in 2-3 days of chess tournaments which consisted of playing chess almost 8 hours each day. I think chess is a bit like motorsports. People think that steering the wheel and changing gear cannot be physical until they hear that racing drivers are subject to g forces sometimes as high as 6g... So yes chess is a sport.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Chess in itself, no, but competitive chess is without a doubt.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Taner Altinsoy wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Apparently you are not aware of the physical preparedness required to play in tournaments. I used to loose 2-3kg's in 2-3 days of chess tournaments which consisted of playing chess almost 8 hours each day. I think chess is a bit like motorsports. People think that steering the wheel and changing gear cannot be physical until they hear that racing drivers are subject to g forces sometimes as high as 6g... So yes chess is a sport.
On the contrayy, I am awared.

What you say it is not part of chess itself.

You don't need to run during a chess game. Just to move your hands and your fingers.

Physical preparation is not chess. You can run, go the gym, walk, swim and they are not chess activities. They help to be in good shape for any activity.

I practice certain extreme sport and part of my preparation is a heavy GYM session. It doesn´t mean that GYM is part of that extreme sport.

Sorry, chess is just that, a game. A very good one.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

You don't need to run during a chess game. Just to move your hands and your fingers.

Physical preparation is not chess. You can run, go the gym, walk, swim and they are not chess activities. They help to be in good shape for any activity.

I practice certain extreme sport and part of my preparation is a heavy GYM session. It doesn´t mean that GYM is part of that extreme sport.

That is because your definition of sport is muscles.

I'm guessing you don't agree that that game that is very popular in Canada, I keep forgetting its name, but resembles shuffleboard on ice with a bunch of maids sweeping the ice, is not a sport (even though it is a part of the Olympics).
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:

moving the pieces and press on the clock is a physical activity.
People who do it faster can get a small time advantage on the clock that may be not important in tournament time control games but more important if you have only 1 minute for all the game.
Taner Altinsoy

Post by Taner Altinsoy »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

Well I think using your brain for hours and consuming calories of your body is still quite physical. At the end of the day your brain is a physical part of your body. Besides just like in any other sport you start as a novice, you get better as you work on it and above all there is competition.

PS: Albert that is curling you are referring to I guess.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Taner Altinsoy wrote:PS: Albert that is curling you are referring to I guess.
That's the game. I mean sport. Though my grandmother would beat those amateur broom wielders any day.
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Albert Silver wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:

That is because your definition of sport is muscles.

I'm guessing you don't agree that that game that is very popular in Canada, I keep forgetting its name, but resembles shuffleboard on ice with a bunch of maids sweeping the ice, is not a sport (even though it is a part of the Olympics).
You don't get it either. When I talk about muscles, I mean a physical activity. Look this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

What you talk about is a sport called curling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

Curling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area. It is related to bowls, boule and shuffleboard.

Chess is just that a game, a table game.