Houdini and Gaviota Tablebases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

brinan
Full name: bri nan

Houdini and Gaviota Tablebases

Post by brinan »

Robert

No Access When Black To Move

Within Arena GUI v2.0.1, set up kr v krp endgame. When analysing, Houdini 1.5 immediately responded when White to move, but not so on Black's turn. Instead, started analysing.

Tried Critter 0.90. Responded straight away regardless of whether White or Black to move.

Regards.
Click on www button for all event details and games.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).
Uri Blass

Re: Houdini and Gaviota Tablebases

Post by Uri Blass »

brinan wrote:Robert

Within Arena GUI v2.0.1, set up kr v krp endgame. When analysing, Houdini 1.5 immediately responded when White to move, but not so on Black's turn. Instead, started analysing.

Tried Critter 0.90. Responded straight away regardless of whether White or Black to move.

Regards.
I did not install gaviota tablebases but the behaviour that you describe is logical and I suspect that it is not about white and black but about material advantage.

In drawn positions the best thing is simply to play the drawing move if you are the inferior side but if you have the advantage it is better to calculate and not use the tablebases because there is a chance that your opponent is going to make a mistake.
brinan

Post by brinan »

Uri Blass wrote: [...] In drawn positions the best thing is simply to play the drawing move if you are the inferior side but if you have the advantage it is better to calculate and not use the tablebases because there is a chance that your opponent is going to make a mistake.
Logical. Guess author of Critter took a different view.

Thanks Uri.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

brinan wrote:Robert

Regards.
That behaviour is "as designed", you'll find the following explanation on the [url=htpp://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm]Houdini web page[/url]:

Houdini will always probe the EGTB for the initial position of the search.
If an EGTB mate position is identified, the full main line will be shown immediately.
If the initial position is an EGTB draw but Houdini has a material advantage, Houdini will still play for a win - the opponent might be human or an engine without end game table bases.
brinan

Post by brinan »

Houdini wrote: [...] If the initial position is an EGTB draw but Houdini has a material advantage, Houdini will still play for a win - the opponent might be human or an engine without end game table bases.
Thanks Robert for explanation (should have checked your site).

My concern stemmed from watching DR4 and Houdini laboriously play out this ending, with Rybka recognising the draw and Houdini apparently not. Could not adjudicate a draw in case of time forfeit (both engines limited to 90 minutes).

Regards.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

I see, if both engines use EGTB it's obviously quite silly to try to play for a win.
Maybe I should add a UCI option to control this behaviour.