What program first made decisions by node-type?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

What program first made decisions by node-type?

Post by lkaufman »

Which is the first program known to make distinctions in its search algorithms between PV nodes and non-PV nodes? This could be different extensions or different reductions based on node type. I don't recall hearing of this prior to the 2000s, but I could well be wrong.
Daniel Shawul

Re: What program first made decisions by node-type?

Post by Daniel Shawul »

AFAIK Fruit. I believe Fabian did it to get a stable search and PV.
No null_move at PV, no transposition cut off at PV, no futility at PV, no lmr at pv, more extensions at pv..
In general no selectivity at pv except for the extensions. Most of them have some elo cost associated with them it seems (however tiny).
Almost everybody does LMR at pv now, while I did it from the very beginning..
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Daniel Shawul wrote:AFAIK Fruit. I believe Fabian did it to get a stable search and PV.
No null_move at PV, no transposition cut off at PV, no futility at PV, no lmr at pv, more extensions at pv..
In general no selectivity at pv except for the extensions. Most of them have some elo cost associated with them it seems (however tiny).
Almost everybody does LMR at pv now, while I did it from the very beginning..
This is much older. Averno, according to his author, had different search functions for PV and non-PV circa 2001 and I am sure there were precedents for it.

Miguel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

If parallel search counts , then it is way back. PV-split comes to mind.
I am sure Knuth's PV,CUT and ALL node classification have been used in many programs in different ways.
But none in a way Fruit did it to take care of its PV. I believe this is more of a style than substance. But the fact that Fruit did less extensions did boost its elo a lot IMO.
The OP's question has to more specific . Also published material paper , source code or even a forum post would be good to have when discussing things of historical matter.

Daniel
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Second question on computer chess history, Larry. :) Are you writing a book?
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

No, I'm just curious about who should get credit for these ideas. I am writing a chess book, but not on computer chess.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

lkaufman wrote:Which is the first program known to make distinctions in its search algorithms between PV nodes and non-PV nodes? This could be different extensions or different reductions based on node type. I don't recall hearing of this prior to the 2000s, but I could well be wrong.
Implicit the first programs using PVS/Negascout with some forward pruning near the tips, in PVS implementations often with different PVS/NWS routines.

Using explicit different extensions and later reductions, I don't know. Probably already early Type-B programs like Awit and Chaos, and Lang programs or even Henne/Nitsche. Levy, Broughton and Taylor did not mention node types explicitly in their 1989 SEX paper, but probability that a terminal node becomes part of the PV.