Collateral damage?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Collateral damage?

Post by kasinp »

I can’t help but notice unusual silence from commercial programmers at this time of year. Looks like Christmas without a new Shredder, Fritz, Sjeng, or HIARCS. Also, would the anticipated release of other programs (Komodo?) be delayed by the controversy around strong free engines?

The disincentive to publish original work may in the long run erode any benefits gained from disassembling leading engines.

Bummed out regards,
PK
yanquis1972

Re: Collateral damage?

Post by yanquis1972 »

an update to HIARCS 13 is coming for christmas according to mark uniacke at the hiarcs forum.

komodo has a very good business plan (last i knew) where the single core version is free & the multicore will be for pay, at least at some point. since it's static evaluation is already one of the best i doubt it's being delayed because of houdini. i'm still anxiously awaiting the next release even if it's only single core. i think even if it's search doesn't improve much it would be valuable in the same way that junior is (though it'll be quite a bit stronger), but in the opposite dynamic -- it excels at finding moves that work OTB that other engines may not look at or search by. the diff is junior is aggressive while komodo is very karpovian for a computer.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

kasinp wrote:I can’t help but notice unusual silence from commercial programmers at this time of year. Looks like Christmas without a new Shredder, Fritz, Sjeng, or HIARCS. Also, would the anticipated release of other programs (Komodo?) be delayed by the controversy around strong free engines?

The disincentive to publish original work may in the long run erode any benefits gained from disassembling leading engines.

Bummed out regards,
PK
I was surprised by not seeing Fritz either. Didn't the last one come in October of last year?

The end of commercial programs I think IS the aim of some.

Some may be delayed as the emphasis may have shifted to the GUI's
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Kirk wrote:The end of commercial programs I think IS the aim of some.
Of course. Just look at this rubbish from the Ivanhoe wikispaces page:

wow is it not so totally great to be cogging in the wheels of ippollit? the tireless capitalists are busy to defeat us so that we must be sharp!
the first question is what are the new plans with the decembrists under a new brave musketeer? i have totally lots of impulses to hand on this project!
can the left overs from the igorrit detritus be added to the new work? it would be real gr8 if this can be true for the revolution!
so after the igorritt failure is fixed we then procede along? my choice is for adding stuffs of uci options like the multipv and overcome the capitalists in their arena!
will the robbobases of comrade roberto be added? they are not in the igorritt failure and they needed to combine with windows or else the workers cant share this revolution!
is windows going to be the next generation system for ippolit? i cant say yet though the decembrists can aim to excell with more abilities for this os!
my name for the new release is going to be ivanhoe but are there better names? we can totally exasperate the capitalists by naming it in their face!
are their any more questions about decembrists? if not we turn to total destruction of capitalists with the coming mp implosion!

is this week the biggest ever yet for the revolution? the big push starts now to produce the mp titleist!
can we use the crafty method for mp with robbolitto? crafty is well known as vital with mp throughout the world!
why is the mp mode called armada? i think it should be called titanic for it crashes sooo much!

is the progress the decembrists made today good? we are better than the capitalists who spend time with puzzles computers cant solve!
will the crafty mp method work with the robbollitto code? it seems that we need to modify it but will find out when it is tested!

http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/IvanHoe
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Don

Post by Don »

yanquis1972 wrote:an update to HIARCS 13 is coming for christmas according to mark uniacke at the hiarcs forum.

komodo has a very good business plan (last i knew) where the single core version is free & the multicore will be for pay, at least at some point. since it's static evaluation is already one of the best i doubt it's being delayed because of houdini. i'm still anxiously awaiting the next release even if it's only single core. i think even if it's search doesn't improve much it would be valuable in the same way that junior is (though it'll be quite a bit stronger), but in the opposite dynamic -- it excels at finding moves that work OTB that other engines may not look at or search by. the diff is junior is aggressive while komodo is very karpovian for a computer.
A release for Komodo is imminent and it will be quite a bit stronger. I plan to release a beta version first, one that should not be tested immediately except for user interface issues and bugs and other glitches. I want to try to avoid the situation where I release a version then release a bug-fix 3 days later.

Don
oudheusa

Post by oudheusa »

Hi Don,

Will this be the long awaited mp version?

I remember you had not been able to finish it for the Leiden tournament earlier this year.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Don wrote:A release for Komodo is imminent and it will be quite a bit stronger. I plan to release a beta version first, one that should not be tested immediately except for user interface issues and bugs and other glitches. I want to try to avoid the situation where I release a version then release a bug-fix 3 days later.

Don
Sounds great! :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Graham Banks wrote:
Kirk wrote:The end of commercial programs I think IS the aim of some.
Of course. Just look at this rubbish from the Ivanhoe wikispaces page:

wow is it not so totally great to be cogging in the wheels of ippollit? the tireless capitalists are busy to defeat us so that we must be sharp!
the first question is what are the new plans with the decembrists under a new brave musketeer? i have totally lots of impulses to hand on this project!
can the left overs from the igorrit detritus be added to the new work? it would be real gr8 if this can be true for the revolution!
so after the igorritt failure is fixed we then procede along? my choice is for adding stuffs of uci options like the multipv and overcome the capitalists in their arena!
will the robbobases of comrade roberto be added? they are not in the igorritt failure and they needed to combine with windows or else the workers cant share this revolution!
is windows going to be the next generation system for ippolit? i cant say yet though the decembrists can aim to excell with more abilities for this os!
my name for the new release is going to be ivanhoe but are there better names? we can totally exasperate the capitalists by naming it in their face!
are their any more questions about decembrists? if not we turn to total destruction of capitalists with the coming mp implosion!

is this week the biggest ever yet for the revolution? the big push starts now to produce the mp titleist!
can we use the crafty method for mp with robbolitto? crafty is well known as vital with mp throughout the world!
why is the mp mode called armada? i think it should be called titanic for it crashes sooo much!

is the progress the decembrists made today good? we are better than the capitalists who spend time with puzzles computers cant solve!
will the crafty mp method work with the robbollitto code? it seems that we need to modify it but will find out when it is tested!

http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/IvanHoe
I find it a bit odd that you would go to that page to read such crap. I have no interest in doing so and I wonder what percentage of our members do have what may be a rather morbid inclination.

Why do you think they publish it, Graham? Whatever the reason, I suspect that the authors of it read this forum and will have found your reaction absolutely delicious.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

K I Hyams wrote:I find it a bit odd that you would go to that page to read such crap. I have no interest in doing so and I wonder what percentage of our members do have what may be a rather morbid inclination.

Why do you think they publish it, Graham? Whatever the reason, I suspect that the authors of it read this forum and will have found your reaction absolutely delicious.
The Ivanhoe fellow seems to have perfectly fine English over in OpenChess, so it really makes one wonder why they're up to all these shenanigans.

On a different note, it's a positive thing to see you taking an interest in computer chess these days, even if it is mainly to come over from CTF to take potshots at me :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

yanquis1972 wrote:an update to HIARCS 13 is coming for christmas according to mark uniacke at the hiarcs forum.

Nice news about HIARCS, I look forward to it arriving then.
Komodo has been on my wish list for a while...

PK