Dedicated Chess Computers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Dedicated Chess Computers

Post by Steve B »

mephisto wrote:Steve
Do you have any details about the Pavilion Talking Chess Computer that appears to be only available at Toys R Us in America. I've only just come across it.
Thanks
Bryan
Not Really Bryan
i see they sell for about $30 a pop
im guessing it is an Excalibur re-badge with an old program in it like the Talking Touch chess

Mumbling Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:
The Munchen board should normally sell for about $150-$200 more then the Exclusive board
what makes your Portorose so valuable is that you have the 68020 32 bit model..which i notice you failed to mention in the text of your auction

i see you are trying to do the honorable thing by selling the computer at a price that is reasonable given what you paid for it..even though
i should mention that i have had dealings with several different collectors from NZ and Australia and all of them were very honorable folks to deal with..so i am not thinking of anyone in particular here

Steve
Yes, Chris is an honorable dealer, the Portorose is in the excellent
condition he described. Of course he is entitled to a profit if he
stumbled upon a great deal. I am also happy with the price I paid,
given that shipping is quite expensive even between Oz and NZ on
an item so big and heavy. The Munchen board is so big you need a
cut lunch and hiking boots to make it around to the other side of the
board. Well ok, I'm exaggerating about the hiking boots...any boots
will do. :lol:
Chris actually also offered me the other machine, ie, the Dallas, for
around the same price, but my wife might have had something to
say about that.
I've only seen one other Munchen board, it was not in nearly as
good condition as this one, but it was a "Munchen S". I don't know
what the difference is. Certainly the pieces are luxury, extremely
well made. Mephisto must have had a lucrative business up and
running in it's heyday.
LH
Growth is the problem; not the solution
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
I've only seen one other Munchen board, it was not in nearly as
good condition as this one, but it was a "Munchen S". I don't know
what the difference is.
The "S" designation was used by Mephisto to indicate boards that could take 16/32 bit modules
the designation was seen in both the Exclusive and Munchen boards
the very early boards could only take 8 bit modules and when Mephisto started to produce 16/32 bit modules they had to modify the boards..they indicated this with the "S" label
after awhile they just dropped the "S" labeling on all boards
so today we see two types of boards with no "S" labeling ..some cannot accept 16/32 (earlier boards) and some that can(later boards with the "S" labeling dropped)

in summary there are 6 types of Exclusive-Munchen wooden boards..
Munchen-early board -can only accept 8 bit
Munchen "S" can take 8,16 and 32 bit
Munchen-later board ..label dropped ..can take 8,16 and 32
Exclusive-early board -can only accept 8 bit
Exclusive "S"-can take 8,16 and 32 bit
Exclusive-later board ..label dropped can take 8,16 and 32

the Mephisto wooden boards are built like brick houses
to this day i have never had one go bad on me..not even one blown reed switch
while the Fidelity wooden boards in comparison.. blow a reed switch every other Tuesday

Bored To Tears Regards
Steve
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Hello,

In addition to, what Steve already wrote: the "S"-boards have no voltage regulator built in, so you should not plug a 9V adaptor directly into such boards as it could kill your module! (modules need around 5-6V)

newer Munchen/Exclusive boards have a voltage regulator builtin, so they have no problem with 9V.

With a "S" you have two choices: use a 5V adaptor or an additional adaptor module (they have a builtin voltage regulator)

I also know of "S" Boards, that have been equipped with regulators. Here we discuss about one; http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... php?t=3777

The red notice says, that you can plug the adaptor also into the board, because it uses "new power supply technology" :D

regards,
Robert
Larry

Post by Larry »

Robert Weck wrote:
the "S"-boards have no voltage regulator built in, so you should not plug a 9V adaptor directly into such boards as it could kill your module! (modules need around 5-6V)

newer Munchen/Exclusive boards have a voltage regulator builtin, so they have no problem with 9V.
Thanks for the info, dudes. Now I think I know why the said
Munchen 'S' would not work right. It was barbequed with a wrong
adaptor.
LH
Growth is the problem; not the solution
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

I do not understand why people still buy such systems. If you have smartphone with touchscreen you can touch pieces just fine. And if you are really hardcore you can set up a board on side and synchronize the moves between screen and board while mostly looking at the board.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

muxecoid wrote:I do not understand why people still buy such systems. If you have smartphone with touchscreen you can touch pieces just fine. And if you are really hardcore you can set up a board on side and synchronize the moves between screen and board while mostly looking at the board.
Well for one thing..
some of these babies can actually move their own pieces
this model in particular can also speak to you ..oft times taunting you when you are losing..cheering you on when you have a brilliant attack
not to mention the fact it also has motion detectors that can "see" when you leave the board and return..powering down if you are away from the board too long...and acknowledging your presence when you return..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fidelity-Chesster-P ... 3a62c32967

moves the pieces..talks...sees

now i doubt that your Iphone or Ipad or IPatch has

An App For That Regards
Stev