Regarding Aquarium 4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Regarding Aquarium 4

Post by Amstaff »

Hello, if you are an Aquarium 4 owner, are you generally satisfied with the new version? I have Aquarium 3 and am wondering if Aquarium 4 is significantly better as far as bugs, ease of use, etc.
In general, I found Aquarium 3 to be more complicated to work with, compared to other GUIs.
Thanks for your opinion in advance.
Gerald
De Vos W

Re: Regarding Aquarium 4

Post by De Vos W »

Amstaff wrote:Hello, if you are an Aquarium 4 owner, are you generally satisfied with the new version? I have Aquarium 3 and am wondering if Aquarium 4 is significantly better as far as bugs, ease of use, etc.
In general, I found Aquarium 3 to be more complicated to work with, compared to other GUIs.
Gerald
Aquarium+Deep Rybka 4 is a frustrating combination, it is useless in infinite
analysis mode with multi-PV etc... A lot of owners are very forgiving and patient to wait a fix of the mayor bugs. Its not worth the money.
A better outstanding combination is Arena 3 + Houdini 1.5 and it is free for download!

http://www.playwitharena.com

http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

De Vos W wrote:
Amstaff wrote:Hello, if you are an Aquarium 4 owner, are you generally satisfied with the new version? I have Aquarium 3 and am wondering if Aquarium 4 is significantly better as far as bugs, ease of use, etc.
Gerald
analysis mode with multi-PV etc... A lot of owners are very forgiving and patient to wait a fix of the mayor bugs. Its not worth the money.
A better outstanding combination is Arena 3 + Houdini 1.5 and it is free for download!
You seem to hate by all your heart Rybka and all things related to it.

Well can you elaborate more about the reasons (i very much liked the "etc...") of all the things you said or they are just pure and clear hate?

And don't forget that you should speak for your own and not behalf of other people's opinion!

And last and more importantly:
Aquarium's analysis abilities are at a factor of 10^5 better than that of Arena's.
Rybka's analytical abilities are about the same with Houdini's.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
fncll

Post by fncll »

To be fair, a lot of people are complaining on the Rybka forums about the various bugs with multi-PV and analysis functions. I don't know about the rest of the hate, but I'm a Rybka fan and I find the problems-- and the Rybka folks' response (or lack of any *real* response)-- pretty frustrating!
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
De Vos W wrote:
Gerald
You seem to hate by all your heart Rybka and all things related to it.

Well can you elaborate more about the reasons (i very much liked the "etc...") of all the things you said or they are just pure and clear hate?

And don't forget that you should speak for your own and not behalf of other people's opinion!

And last and more importantly:
Aquarium's analysis abilities are at a factor of 10^5 better than that of Arena's.
Rybka's analytical abilities are about the same with Houdini's.
You have way too many conclusions running around in your head, i'm in possession of Aquarium and all the Rybka's etc..why should i hate them? I just conclude its full of bugs, what is wrong with that?
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

De Voss wrote: "You have way too many conclusions running around in your head, i'm in possession of Aquarium and all the Rybka's etc..why should i hate them? I just conclude its full of bugs, what is wrong with that?

Bold lettering mine.

It's full of bugs. That's whats wrong eh? Yah who should complain about that? :roll:
oreopoulos

Post by oreopoulos »

It has the best Infinite mode analysis hands down.

Exclude moves?, exclude tree moves, analyse only tree moves, analyse with many engines in a single pane? and much much more that are not present in any software.

As about multi-pv bug... what exactly are you talking about
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

someone else asked this a few weeks ago. my answer is that most of the improvements in 4 were in IDeA. the interface etc is basically unchanged. if you use IDeA, its a must buy. otherwise, no real reason to upgrade.

i upgraded because i have used IDeA & i like to support chessok, but i mostly stick to the sandbox & it's pretty much identical as far as i remember.
Amstaff

Post by Amstaff »

Thank you ,that is just the kind of constructive comment I was looking for. I mostly use A3 for the Idea analysis also, so I might upgrade.
Best wishes,
Gerald
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

Yeah, john, i think i bought on your recommendation. Idea interface is much improved and more usable. I love, for example, how it lists the number of positions after a given move that result in = or +=, etc.

In general, I think the interface works well. I don't know about deep rybka. couldn't afford it.

best
Joseph