CCRL/CEGT Hypocritical

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Osipov Jury

Re: CCRL/CEGT Hypocritical

Post by Osipov Jury »

Ant_Gugdin wrote: Vas' involvement seems very unlikely. Whatever his flaws he is clearly a commercially minded guy. He is hardly going to ruin his own product by allowing stronger free engines to proliferate on the internet.
Vasik lost nothing after release of Ippolit. Sales of Rybka will only have grown. Lost its main competitors – Fritz, Shredder, Hiarcs, Naum, Junior etc.
Ant_Gugdin wrote: Perhaps Ippolit is a decompiled version of another strong engine - Shredder or Fritz - with some changes?
Decompilation recalls the myth of life after death. Many people believe in it, but no one has evidence of its existence.
I went through the Rybka code forwards and backwards and took many things.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

hgm wrote:You don't seem to understand how different the alleged cases of Ippolit vs Rybka 3 and Rybka vs Fruit are. You talk about them as if they are exactly the same. While they are in fact vastly different:

Fruit was an open-source project. The code and ideas were made public by the author, and everyone was free to take and use them. If Rybka was based on Fruit, this was totally legal. Its author was known and addressble.

Ippolit, on the other hand, seems to be a decompiled code that comes from nowhere, published by 'authors' that do not want to divulge their true identity. If it was derived from a decompiled Rybka, that would make it totally illegal. Any work based on Ippolit would be based on _stolen_ code.

H.G. Muller wrote:
" If it was derived from a decompiled Rybka, that would make it totally illegal"
Lets disprove Mullers's thesis:

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise25.html
http://www.shell-storm.org/papers/files/454.pdf (starting p. 1607)
http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi
http://lwn.net/Articles/134642/

Here are some comments from Vasik Rajlich:

Subject: Re: Do we really want it?
Message Number: 384927
Date: August 29, 2004 at 09:00:04
[...]
Gerd,

disassembling for purposes of finding information is legal and cannot be prevented.

It would be legal (though incredibly hard) for someone to disassemble one of the commercial programs and publish his findings.

Vas
Subject: Re: Questions about disassembling
Message Number: 487295
Date: February 17, 2006 at 04:17:38

On February 17, 2006 at 02:33:32, Jouni Uski wrote:
[...]
>Is it possible to disassemble exe-file, which is zipped and/or copy protected like Fruit 2.2.1? Where are disassemblers downloadable?
[...]

IDA Pro is easily the best. Technically it is not legal (although even this is not quite that simple, there have been a number of court

cases, etc), in practice in computer chess you can do it.

Just a general comment though: it is _extremely_ hard to figure out the innovations in a program. Basically, I would say that in practice

it is impossible. Yes, you can locate the move generator, because you already know what that looks like and what it does. But

understanding the evaluation terms, or adjustments to search depth, would require an ungodly effort, especially for a complex

program. Let me put it like this: every aspiring computer chess programmer has been very strongly tempted to try his hand at

disassembling. When I started computer chess, Shredder was the king. We all wanted to know what he was doing. And nobody found

out. Not Chrily Donninger. Not Frans Morsch. And not any of the then-amateurs.

You'll find some people posting here for example about what they "found" in Rybka. So far it has always just been transparent guessing

based on program behavior, with the disassembly argument used to make it seem legit.

Vas
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

"for purpose of finding information" is not the same as "for pubishing"....
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

It would be legal (though incredibly hard) for someone to disassemble one of the commercial programs and publish his findings.

Vas

Technically it is not legal (although even this is not quite that simple, there have been a number of court

cases, etc), in practice in computer chess you can do it.

Just a general comment though: it is _extremely_ hard to figure out the innovations in a program. Basically, I would say that in practice

it is impossible.
hgm

Post by hgm »

"His findings" is not the same as the disassembled source code.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Osipov Jury wrote: Vasik lost nothing after release of Ippolit. Sales of Rybka will only have grown. Lost its main competitors – Fritz, Shredder, Hiarcs, Naum, Junior etc.
This is simply wrong.
I bought Rybka1,2,3 and did not buy Rybka4 because I understood that there is a good chance that I am going to have a better free program
thanks to Ippolit.

Maybe vas sold more Rybka4 than Rybka3 but it does not change the fact that the sales of Rybka could be higher without Ippolit.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Mr. H.G.Muller,

I think based on everything what you wrote this is in the worst case a legal grey zone, and at the best case completely legal.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Even if that would be the case, there still is a big difference between obtaining code by disassembling / reverse engineering, (which the license agreement usually forbids), or obtaining it because it was published with the intent that everyone could see it and learn from it. That makes it totally different.
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

hgm wrote:Even if that would be the case, there still is a big difference between obtaining code by disassembling / reverse engineering, (which the license agreement usually forbids), or obtaining it because it was published with the intent that everyone could see it and learn from it. That makes it totally different.
it's not about obtaining the code, it's about using it. If Vas used GPL code he has violated the license agreement. Why are you OK with this? Is the GPL somewhat inferior to other license agreements in your eyes?
hgm

Post by hgm »

playjunior wrote:it's not about obtaining the code, it's about using it. If Vas used GPL code he has violated the license agreement. Why are you OK with this? Is the GPL somewhat inferior to other license agreements in your eyes?
Who says he used code then? The comparison I am commenting on talks about "having innovative ideas from". Not "using code of". For those with a short memory span:
De Vos W wrote:Just like Vasik Rajlich did a few years ago having innovative ideas from Fruit to improve the strength of his
engine, and they had no problem with that!
Taking ideas from an open-source code is NOT a violation of the GPL. So I am OK with it. Aren't you?