Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
De Vos W
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 am

Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by De Vos W » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Houdini 1.5 leads TCEC with perfect score!

Press:
http://www.chessdom.com/news-2011/houdini-chess-engine


TCEC:
http://www.tcec-chess.org/
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by Albert Silver » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

De Vos W wrote:Houdini 1.5 leads TCEC with perfect score!

Press:
http://www.chessdom.com/news-2011/houdini-chess-engine


TCEC:
http://www.tcec-chess.org/
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

paulo
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by paulo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Albert Silver wrote:
De Vos W wrote:Houdini 1.5 leads TCEC with perfect score!

Press:
http://www.chessdom.com/news-2011/houdini-chess-engine


TCEC:
http://www.tcec-chess.org/
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
I think it's all about Houdini being noticed as the strongest engine --free- and not the tournament itself. For those that might still don't know Rybka's supremacy is past it's indeed a good service provided by ChessDom.

User avatar
Houdini
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by Houdini » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Albert Silver wrote:Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
LOL, haters gonna hate.

Three random comments:
1) Martin is doing an excellent job with the TCEC, it's great that he gets some deserved recognition.
2) If your reaction isn't to "besmirch", please explain us what your point is, because you're doing exactly that.
3) Would your reaction have been the same if Rybka was dominating the tournament, or if the article was written by Chessbase?

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by gerold » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

De Vos W wrote:Houdini 1.5 leads TCEC with perfect score!

Press:
http://www.chessdom.com/news-2011/houdini-chess-engine


TCEC:
http://www.tcec-chess.org/
Some private testers have know for sometime just how strong The
Houdini is. Now it is getting some deserved press.

Best,
Gerold.

mwyoung
Posts: 2727
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by mwyoung » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Albert Silver wrote:
De Vos W wrote:Houdini 1.5 leads TCEC with perfect score!

Press:
http://www.chessdom.com/news-2011/houdini-chess-engine


TCEC:
http://www.tcec-chess.org/
Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.

"It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... "

I don't know if it matters, but after 4 rounds Houdini 1.5 is 4-0. :)

Since reporting on a tournament after only 3 round is one of your issues with the report.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by Albert Silver » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Houdini wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Fascinating, and an incredible blunder by ChessDom. It isn't to besmirch Houdini BTW, as that is not the problem. It is the fact they are promoting a small private computer chess tournament, with no official recognition, on their front page as the main article, after only three rounds, which is the sort of reporting reserved for major international chess tournaments.... It is amazingly bad judgment, and beyond stupid.

Of course, I'm happy for Martin, but this changes nothing.
LOL, haters gonna hate.

Three random comments:
1) Martin is doing an excellent job with the TCEC, it's great that he gets some deserved recognition.
2) If your reaction isn't to "besmirch", please explain us what your point is, because you're doing exactly that.
3) Would your reaction have been the same if Rybka was dominating the tournament, or if the article was written by Chessbase?
1) Yes, I agree, hence my comment.

2) No, it is not. My comment has nothing whatsoever to do with Houdini or TCEC per se. Chessdom is a news site that caters to smaller organizers and players by suggesting they will get better coverage there since there is little to no filter on quality of events, and providing reports on major events as well. Right now, events such as the Iranian national championship and others, are a mere footnote on their pages, with precedence given to a one-man private event, which is a mighty slap in the face to them.

3) The article would never appear on Chessbase, ChessVibes, or other. It is hard enough getting the major events covered (WCCC, etc.), much less a small private event.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

User avatar
notyetagm
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by notyetagm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Houdini wiped out Rybka 4 today, totally outplaying it.

Houdini is so much stronger than Rybka 4 that it is downright scary. Scary if you're a Rybka fanboy, that is. ;-)

tomgdrums
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by tomgdrums » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm

notyetagm wrote:Houdini wiped out Rybka 4 today, totally outplaying it.

Houdini is so much stronger than Rybka 4 that it is downright scary. Scary if you're a Rybka fanboy, that is. ;-)
Now that I have acquired CS Tal II and already having Junior with limit strength....I am a fanboy of those engines as they are super fun to play against! :D

De Vos W
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Houdini is getting some wider press. Congratulations!

Post by De Vos W » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

notyetagm wrote:Houdini wiped out Rybka 4 today, totally outplaying it.

Houdini is so much stronger than Rybka 4 that it is downright scary. Scary if you're a Rybka fanboy, that is. ;-)
The Rybka 4 fish is "BESMIRCHED" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Post Reply