Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Houdini
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by Houdini » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

F.Huber wrote:The exception is
8/1p6/2B1K1p1/6NP/8/8/1P4pq/1R4bk w - -
and I'm really wondering which program sees a mate here? :shock:
Houdini does, takes quite a while though...

Robert

User avatar
F.Huber
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by F.Huber » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Houdini wrote:
F.Huber wrote:The exception is
8/1p6/2B1K1p1/6NP/8/8/1P4pq/1R4bk w - -
and I'm really wondering which program sees a mate here? :shock:
Houdini does, takes quite a while though...
That's interesting, Robert!

Mate in how many moves?
And could you maybe post Houdini's PV?

kgburcham
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by kgburcham » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:07 pm

[D] 8/1p6/2B1K1p1/6NP/8/8/1P4pq/1R4bk w - -

Houdini sees the winning line in about 6 minutes, but i have Nalimov 4,5, and 6 egtb. I think with egtb it would show a mate. Not sure how to get the G egtb to work. Mate in 34.

Houdini 1.5ab-16 x64 (4096 MB)

31/66 1:28 +0.88 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 b6 11.Kf7 Kd5 12.Rh1 Kd6 13.Rh5 Be3 14.Kf6 (2.708.674.334) 30586
32/66 2:14 +0.88 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 b6 11.Kf7 Kd5 12.Rh1 Kd6 13.Rh5 Be3 14.Kf6 (4.277.431.847) 31699
33/67 3:41 +0.95 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 Kd5 11.Kf5 b5 12.Rd3 Kc5 13.Ke4 Bg7 14.Rg3 (7.379.375.062) 33241
34/69 5:52 +1.02++ 1.Nf3 (12.150.361.435) 34421
34/69 6:09 +1.17++ 1.Nf3 (12.765.100.866) 34553
34/70 6:40 +1.59++ 1.Nf3 (13.957.380.940) 34882
34/73 7:59 +2.70++ 1.Nf3 (17.149.671.866) 35744
34/78 11:55 +5.76++ 1.Nf3 (26.127.612.962) 36519
34/80 16:45 +6.30 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Kd5 bxc6+ 3.Ke4 c5 4.Kd5 h4 5.Kc6 h3 6.Kb7 c4 7.Ka8 c3 8.bxc3 Qb8+ 9.Rxb8 Bf2 10.Rh8 g1N 11.Nxg1 Bxg1 12.Rxh3+ Kg2 13.Rh4 Kg3 14.Rh8 (37.533.087.421) 37345
35/80 20:45 +6.30 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Kd5 bxc6+ 3.Ke4 c5 4.Kd5 h4 5.Kc6 h3 6.Kb7 c4 7.Ka8 c3 8.bxc3 Qb8+ 9.Rxb8 Bf2 10.Rh8 g1N 11.Nxg1 Bxg1 12.Rxh3+ Kg2 13.Rh4 Kg3 14.Rh8 (46.859.299.064) 37626

Mate in 21
[D] K6R/8/8/8/8/2P4p/8/6bk w - -

kgburcham
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:19 pm

correction

Post by kgburcham » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 pm

kgburcham wrote:[D] 8/1p6/2B1K1p1/6NP/8/8/1P4pq/1R4bk w - -

Houdini sees the winning line in about 6 minutes, but i have Nalimov 4,5, and 6 egtb. I think with egtb it would show a mate. Not sure how to get the G egtb to work. Mate in 34.

Houdini 1.5ab-16 x64 (4096 MB)

31/66 1:28 +0.88 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 b6 11.Kf7 Kd5 12.Rh1 Kd6 13.Rh5 Be3 14.Kf6 (2.708.674.334) 30586
32/66 2:14 +0.88 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 b6 11.Kf7 Kd5 12.Rh1 Kd6 13.Rh5 Be3 14.Kf6 (4.277.431.847) 31699
33/67 3:41 +0.95 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Be4 Qh3+ 3.Kf6 Qxf3+ 4.Bxf3 Kh2 5.Bxg2 Kxg2 6.Kg5 Bf2 7.Kxh5 Kf3 8.Kg6 Ke4 9.Rd1 Bd4 10.b3 Kd5 11.Kf5 b5 12.Rd3 Kc5 13.Ke4 Bg7 14.Rg3 (7.379.375.062) 33241
34/69 5:52 +1.02++ 1.Nf3 (12.150.361.435) 34421
34/69 6:09 +1.17++ 1.Nf3 (12.765.100.866) 34553
34/70 6:40 +1.59++ 1.Nf3 (13.957.380.940) 34882
34/73 7:59 +2.70++ 1.Nf3 (17.149.671.866) 35744
34/78 11:55 +5.76++ 1.Nf3 (26.127.612.962) 36519
34/80 16:45 +6.30 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Kd5 bxc6+ 3.Ke4 c5 4.Kd5 h4 5.Kc6 h3 6.Kb7 c4 7.Ka8 c3 8.bxc3 Qb8+ 9.Rxb8 Bf2 10.Rh8 g1N 11.Nxg1 Bxg1 12.Rxh3+ Kg2 13.Rh4 Kg3 14.Rh8 (37.533.087.421) 37345
35/80 20:45 +6.30 1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Kd5 bxc6+ 3.Ke4 c5 4.Kd5 h4 5.Kc6 h3 6.Kb7 c4 7.Ka8 c3 8.bxc3 Qb8+ 9.Rxb8 Bf2 10.Rh8 g1N 11.Nxg1 Bxg1 12.Rxh3+ Kg2 13.Rh4 Kg3 14.Rh8 (46.859.299.064) 37626

Mate in 21
position after 11...Bxg1
so maybe a mate in 32

[D] K6R/8/8/8/8/2P4p/8/6bk w - -

Ignacio
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by Ignacio » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 am

F.Huber wrote:
Paloma wrote: The P parameter must now be 10, but it takes unfortunately a long time.
Well, testing this position I've already reached parameters K3/P10/X44.

Is your K4 really necessary? Then maybe K4/P10/X44 could work ...
Hi Franz,

Chest 5.1:
FEN: 1r5r/1bp1Rppp/p1kB4/1p1q4/1Q6/2P2N2/PP3PPP/RN4K1 w - - (13+11)
Search for Special-Mate [C0/R0/K4/P10/X44] in 10 ... (Hash=2044MB)
10 6:12:03 10.265.486.046 507.075 +M10 Nb1-a3

User avatar
Houdini
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by Houdini » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:31 am

F.Huber wrote:That's interesting, Robert!

Mate in how many moves?
And could you maybe post Houdini's PV?
It's a mate in 32, like Kim reported.

[D] 8/1p6/2B1K1p1/6NP/8/8/1P4pq/1R4bk w - -
The key manoeuvre is the following:

1.Nf3 gxh5 2.Kd5 bxc6+ 3.Ke4 c5 4.Kd5 h4
5.Kc6 c4 6.Kb7 h3 7.Ka8 c3 8.bxc3 Qb8+ 9.Rxb8

[D] KR6/8/8/8/8/2P2N1p/6p1/6bk b - -
after which a rather uninteresting mate in 23 follows, for example

9...Bh2 10.Rh8 g1Q 11.Nxg1 Bxg1 12.Rxh3+ Kg2
13.Rd3 Bc5 14.Kb7 Kf2 15.c4 Be7 16.Kc6 Bb4
17.c5 Ke2 18.Rb3 Be1 19.Kd5 Bh4 20.c6 Bd8
21.Rb7 Ba5 22.Rd7 Bb6 23.Kc4 Ba5 24.Kb5 Be1
25.c7 Bd2 26.c8Q Be1 27.Qc2+ Ke3 28.Qd3+ Kf2
29.Re7 Bd2 30.Re2+ Kf1 31.Rxd2+ Ke1 32.Qe2+

A challenging position!

Robert

Paloma
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by Paloma » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Ignacio,

i hope for your answer. :)

my test runs for 10 hours without any solution until now. [C0/R0/K4/P10/X40]
X40 seems wrong.

thank you for your test and your parameters.

Herbert

Ignacio
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by Ignacio » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Yes, after 1. Na3 Kb6 needs X44.
Ignacio.

User avatar
F.Huber
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by F.Huber » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Ignacio wrote: Chest 5.1:
FEN: 1r5r/1bp1Rppp/p1kB4/1p1q4/1Q6/2P2N2/PP3PPP/RN4K1 w - - (13+11)
Search for Special-Mate [C0/R0/K4/P10/X44] in 10 ... (Hash=2044MB)
10 6:12:03 10.265.486.046 507.075 +M10 Nb1-a3
Thanks Ignacio.

More than 6 hours? :shock: Oh my god!

I guess in this time Chest could have even solved it without parameters (ie. in Normal mode)?

User avatar
F.Huber
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Yet Another Mate Solving Test

Post by F.Huber » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Houdini wrote: A challenging position!
Maybe, but definitely not a position for a matesolver!

Nevertheless I'm still not fully convinced of your "key manoeuvre", ie. of these first 9 moves - I myself would definitely play a completely different way with white. :wink:

Post Reply